• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How much school learning you got?

How much school learning you got?

• My high school diploma was pretty much a gift for showing up most of the time.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I made it out of High School OK but didn't go further.

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • I went to Vocational, Trade or Technical school and got a Diploma in some skill.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • I joined the military out of HS and went to a military tech school.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I went to a Community or Junior college and have a associates degree (60+ hours)

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I have a baccalaureate (4 year 120+ hours) degree in something. So I'm smarter than I look.

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • I have a masters or post masters degree in a thing. So I'm a smarty pants.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a doctorate in a non medical thing. So I may not be able to do it but I can teach it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an medical doctor. No really, why is that funny?

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
Out of HS I did a 80 hour AAS EE that was supposed to be an engineering apprentice sort of thing, that kept me employed for a good number of years. Later on in the VA community college system, I got a got a two year GenED Associates Degree the kind you do to transfer to a 4 year school. Now I am about to finish a BS in Information Systems at a local U. Disorganized? You bet. Better later than never I say. Next year I will be the guy in the grad crowd with "Better Late Than Never" on his mortar board. :hihi:

I done get thhrew hi school. Thats it.

With the career I've had as a printer, I've done alright. Any more schoolin and I would have to move away from my home town in order to find a job. I love living in my small (3500 pop) prairie town. I don't think I'd change things if I had the chance.

Altona? Nice town, and I can see why you'd want to stay. My mom was from Letellier and the family farm is still there. One of my favorite childhood memories was getting to drive the dump truck with my uncle all the way to Altoona to pick up a load of sunflower seeds. I think I was seven at the time, and uncle Aimee let me drive the whole way.

Last edited:
Got my High school diploma BS, than 2 years in Vocational / Technical school for Electrical Trades and Integrated cabling. Than wound up switching trades and went to school (still am actually) for Diesel and Industrial Technologies. Now I actually have a Bachelors Degree in Diesel Technology, and by the start of November this year I'll be certified for all ranges of Cummins Engines and Power Generation. Never thought I'd see the day where I had a degree in anything. :eek:

I started to weld in my dads business at the age of 10. I knew what I wanted to do when I graduated from HS and then went to a VoTech school and took Welding and Metallurgy/ non destructive testing. I have now been in the welding field for just over 46 yrs and really dont regret a minute of it. I have had some nice jobs along the way to get me to where I am now. Fabrication inspector for the Fire Rescue trucks we build and all my experience has paid off in my book. I LOVE MY JOB!!

Bachelor's degree, but school of hard-knocks, and men & women such as yourselves that pass on your knowledge have taught me more than I could ever get in school.

I graduate in less than a month with a B.A. in Political Science. But a lot more learning on the farm and from windshield and work time with my dad and grandpa than I ever learned in school

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain

It's nice to see an inspector with real world experience. Most inspectors I dealt with were snot nosed kids that had never struck an arc. I had a weld busted out as being cracked, because I didn't clean a scribe mark off good enough. I repaired the weld in 30 seconds.

I started to weld in my dads business at the age of 10. I knew what I wanted to do when I graduated from HS and then went to a VoTech school and took Welding and Metallurgy/ non destructive testing. I have now been in the welding field for just over 46 yrs and really dont regret a minute of it. I have had some nice jobs along the way to get me to where I am now. Fabrication inspector for the Fire Rescue trucks we build and all my experience has paid off in my book. I LOVE MY JOB!!

University: BA (psych), BEng (mechanical), BSc (microbiology)

Civy tech: licensed AME, licensed auto tech.

Military: airframe tech, aviation technician, flight engineer.

That's the highlights. Various other courses and quals thrown in there over the years.

I've been around.......

Double major/BS's in Crop Science and Animal Production. Also minors/associates in history and psychology just for gits and shiggles. Also sprinkled in alot of accounting/business classes. Nearly 200 credit hrs from Oklahoma State University.

In other words I am an over qualified Farmer/Rancher.

I also am a certified crop consultant and ag applicator.

source unknown

The few things that was worthwhile learning in school back then cause i still use it daily was reading,writhing and math and history,. the rest was pretty much already obsolete by the time i left school.

Wow, it is interesting to see the varied educations on our forum.

Just because someone has a degree doesn't make them any more intelligent than someone who doesn't have a degree. It does mean they had the financial means to attend a formal school that had a degree program and that they stuck it out through all the minutia passed their courses and finished the program.

I graduated HS in 1963. I immediately started college living at home. I didn't do well and got my draft notice that I was 1A so I went down and joined the Regular Navy in 1964. Fast forward many years, 1988?, I finished my BS in Sociology with a minor in Engineering technology. Retired from the Navy in 1992. Decided I wanted to be a Doctor of chiropractic and went back to school. Got my doctorate in 1996 at 51 yrs old. Got more certifications, Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner. Continued expanding my knowledge formally until I sold my private practice in 2006. I have been a bum since sponging of my darling wife who is still working because that is what she loves to do. She is a HS grad and has some college. Smart person who could have more endorsements than I have it just wasn't that important to her. She was my office manager when I had my clinic and she dealt with all the insurance companies and the minutia associated with it.

I applaud all you folks that are out there on a daily basis making it happen. A piece of paper is still just a piece of paper. It could have come out of a cracker jack box for all anyone knows. I have seen folks with degrees and lies about how they got them. It is amazing what some people will do just to put on airs.

Did only enough in HS to graduate. Jr college for 1 1/2 years, just enough to keep from getting drafted. USAF, I worked on ejection seats. Operating Engineers (heavy equipment operating) union apprentice program. Since then, I have taken numerous classes at local JC for diesel engine repair. This always for my own use, my own fully equipted repair shop! The instructor understood where I was coming from & we had a deal, I would take courses he wanted me to take, ie he would need one more student to keep open a certain class 'heavy duty brakes' for instance, w/o one more student, that class would be cancelled. I pretty much had the run of the shop, I've rebuilt more 6.2 db2 governers than I care to remember. Nozzles, 'perfect' engine timing, etc. Occaisionally, I was 'requested' to do odd jobs for him. It was a good learning experience.

Associates degree in Applied Science with a major in Automotive High Peformance. Went to University of Norwestern Ohio. Even have a couple fancy plaques to go with it... :) Graduated from there in '05, ASE Certified in Steering and Suspension and Brakes since then. And....I just got out of the business....

Graduated high school last year, currently at a CC getting basic credits out of the way, planning to transfer to a state university for a degree.

Diploma in Air Conditioning Heating and Refrigeration years ago.

Certified in other areas that I can not talk about at this time.

After I retire maybe I can enlighten you.

Wow, it is interesting to see the varied educations on our forum.

Just because someone has a degree doesn't make them any more intelligent than someone who doesn't have a degree. It does mean they had the financial means to attend a formal school that had a degree program and that they stuck it out through all the minutia passed their courses and finished the program.

I applaud all you folks that are out there on a daily basis making it happen. A piece of paper is still just a piece of paper. It could have come out of a cracker jack box for all anyone knows. I have seen folks with degrees and lies about how they got them. It is amazing what some people will do just to put on airs.

Well said. I admit to having an MD and the BS that came before that. Most of what I learned I don't use in my day to day practice. Somewhere along the way I started learning to work on cars. My first real skills that came with a piece of paper were my FF/EMS certifications that I got and managed to keep using at least partway through all that schooling before too little time took over.

I quit school because they had recess, and then I joined the Army....number 4 fits me.

Back