• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How much fluid for the Allison LCT-1000 Transmission?

F

fasterdmax

How much fluid will the stock Allison transmission hold?

What fluid should I go with?

About 5 gallons maybe a touch more. If you can remove all of the fluid.

My choice is Transynd. Allison loves this product.

But any Dex III fluid or Dex IV fluid will work.

According to SI:
5-Spd. Auto Allison (M74) Fluid and Filter Change
7.0 liters
7.4 quarts

5-Spd. Auto Allison (M74) After Complete Overhaul
12.0 liters
12.7 quarts

Some times these specifications are not entirely correct. Fluid and filter change will hold about 7.5 qts. Not sure about complete overhaul capacities.

According to mike L. and our local allison shop if you completely redo the tranny, you will need a 5 gallon pail of fluid.

How much fluid will the stock Allison transmission hold?

The answer depends on what your doing. Are you changing the pan fluid ansd spin on filter only?
Rebuilding?
Doing a tranny flush using the hoot method?
Once that is determined then the amount can be given.

What fluid should I go with?

Oh boy thats a loaded question that will garner a variety of responses.

My fluid of choice is the Amsoil's Torque Drive it is a mirror clone of the Transynd that Allison gets paid to reccomend. The two fluids seem to be the most highly recommended (by the masses) fluids for the Allison trans.

Amsoil

How much does a 5 gallon pail of Amsoil Torque Drive cost? Give me an estimate? I know how much the local Ally sop charges for Transynd. Cost might change my mind about Amsoil. How often would you do a tranny flush? 46K on mine, never been done, but needs to.

Thanks
Jeff

I put the amsoil torque drive in my trans and didnt notice much of a difference in shifting. it does run an itty bit cooler than it did with the dex 3 in it. but my trans doesnt seem to get mora than 190 . I think once I hit 200 in the 93000 miles I have on it,

I have Mobil synthetic in mine. I got it at the local allison dealer. It says recommended by allison on the bucket. They get $8.88 per quart for it.

Back