• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How much ATF

I've always added about 1 oz to a gallon, although I rarely use ATF.

I run almost a 2oz to a gallon of SAE-30 ND faithfully. 32oz per 18gallons of fuel.

So 1-2Gallons would do it, depending on your desired mix rate.

Frankly, I wouldn't use ATF in an Elector-optical 6.5 at all.

The lubricating properties aren't that good, it doesn't add to your mileage, and the red stuff sometimes causes problems. If I was you, I'd just buy the cheapest walmart SAE 30wt non-detergent oil I could find and pour it in, about 1 qt for every 30 gallons.

Wait ... I'm NOT you, and that's what I already do!

Seriously, there are lots of wars over additives, many (myself included) also like running a 50:50 mix of 2-stroke and Powerservice (I found that the increased mileage pretty much paid for the additive cost), but SAE nd30 seems to work very well, also.

I have been running about 50summer down to 40%winter, used atf, just the better looking stuff and some used oil when it is short changed at work , So far no problems been only a year of this experiment though!! It does smoke a little more than normal. I have a 94 sierra and no pump issues yet as far as optic sensor goes but I would imagine I am damaging my pump and injectors to some degree I just dont have much invested so what the hell

A year? Heck, you've been positively blessed. The last guy that tried this laughed at us all and only lasted 3 weeks.

We, of course, didn't stoop so low as to say "I told you so".

:D

Seriously, I'm glad yours is working, but that hasn't been the global experience.

Red color in diesel fuel... DOT fine (more than a shiny new IP) risk out here. Don't know if that applies up north.

Red color in diesel fuel... DOT fine (more than a shiny new IP) risk out here. Don't know if that applies up north.

Oh Yeah, big time fine up here, too. I haven't had my tank dipped since high school though, so I'm not sure it's much of a risk up here.

Hmm, atf doesn't sound like that good of an idea to me. Wrong kind of lubricants, full of friction modifiers and wrong kind of additive package.

I used to run a diesel additive, then additive and 2 stroke, and now diesel additive and 30 W ND oil.

2 Oz of additive and 1 liter of oil per tank full.

Truck runs much better/smoother/quieter and the very slight tendency to (what i thought was) "fish bite" is completely gone.

I'm getting the impression you're going to use it because you can get it cheaply (IE: free waste oil) and it will save you money over a 15 dollar bottle of additive for 20/30 tanks or a 2 dollar bottle of 30 W every tank.

I believe that can be termed a "false economy".......

Last edited:
I still heard people from the 60s and 70s that swears by the ATF as additive to diesel fuel.

Unfortunately, the old ATF and new ATF are completely different. ATF have gone through an evolution in the contents of its additive to make it last longer and can withstand higher temperature. The challenge is since it can withstand high temp, it probably will not burn as easily. It is good if you put it in the transmission or t-case. Consequently, if it burns with the fuel, it probably will not burn as cleanly leaving some ashes and/or carbons causing carbon built up. At least that is what I have read from some other forum.

I have been running about 50summer down to 40%winter, used atf, just the better looking stuff and some used oil when it is short changed at work , So far no problems been only a year of this experiment though!! It does smoke a little more than normal. I have a 94 sierra and no pump issues yet as far as optic sensor goes but I would imagine I am damaging my pump and injectors to some degree I just dont have much invested so what the hell

Waste/used oil or trans is just that waste, yes it will burn, yes folks did that for years with MFI fuel systems, for EFI and in era of low lubricity fuel no way should waste/used oils be added to your fuel system.

Waste lubricants have changed in chemical composition picking up the "dirt" they were intended to do with their detergent packages also have picked up condensation, anti freeze, carbon, and any other contaminant that are not conducive to long fuel system life.

You can filter waste lubricants and get out "chunks", but you can't correct the "chemistry" of it via filtering, to get water out of it it needs to be heated/centrifuged, or heated and bottom drained but again you haven't corrected chemistry changes that have occurred.

NEW SAE 30 nd oil is a good additive, 2 cycle oil, or best choice is a fuel treatment designed to be added to fuel especially with common rail injection with 20K+ pressures on those I'd use only additives designed to be blended with fuel. Bio Fuel also gets good marks for adding lubricity to system.

To each his own, I'd use it if absolutely no other fuel were available, but we'd be talking a end of times "Mad Max" end of times scenario for me to do that.

Back