• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many shims......?

doughboy18718

Diesel Retard!
Reaction score
How many shims, if any, does the starter need to ensure it doesn't grind the teeth of the flywheel?

I am currrently in the process of replacing the flywheel because of this same issue, and don't want to go through this hellacious ordeal again!

Thanks guys!

Depends on the starter.. some need them and some dont. I always go by how it sounds.. Im no help :(

I've changed a few 6.2/6.5 starters & every one of them was marked "no shim" on the starter. I too go by how it sounds & I never heard one grind.

I've changed a few 6.2/6.5 starters & every one of them was marked "no shim" on the starter. I too go by how it sounds & I never heard one grind.

Maybe the "El Cheapo" starters have a problem lining up do to "El Cheapo" product......I would think any quality starter would not need shims. JMO

Just replaced mine with a Delco and no shims.

Question...when the starter bolts break/snap due to no front bracket, is it because of the weight of the starter or is it the torque from engagment?

Maybe the "El Cheapo" starters have a problem lining up do to "El Cheapo" product......I would think any quality starter would not need shims. JMO

Just replaced mine with a Delco and no shims.

Question...when the starter bolts break/snap due to no front bracket, is it because of the weight of the starter or is it the torque from engagment?

the torque of the starter motor,
I too replaced mine, (Bosch rebuild) and no shims....

No shims here. I think I"m on my 4th rebuild.:mad2:. IIRC the old (looks who's talking) had to be shimmed. Clearances need to be 0.020 +/- 0.005 in. PITA to check. you have to remove to bell housing cover to do it. are the mounting bolts still good? along with the front bracket?

The way I check for starter engagemant if I think I have a problem is to extend the starter drive to make contact with the ring gear and try to fit the end of a paperclip between the top of the drive gear and the bottom of the ring gear where they mesh- the paperclip diameter is approxamatly the proper clearance.

Like mentioned it is tough to check .

Are you sure you got the correct flywheel/flexplate??
Gassers ring gears aparently are a wee bit bigger than the diesels.

Gasser flex plates have a different tooth count and will flat break the starter and throw it clean off the engine.
Diesel 139 Teeth, 10-12 Pitch
Gasser 168 Teeth, 12-14 Pitch

there was a thread awhile back where someone had a gasser flywheel on can't remember what it was doing but it didn't break the starter. seems like it was for a 6.5 gasser the ole 396

All the starters ive put on my truck have said "No shim" and trust me, ive been through about 6 starters over the past 5 years.... (No glows for a long time on the ex-powerplant)

Back