• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

how high of rpms can a diesel go?

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
a guy i work with attended nashivlle auto diesel college many years ago. he said the had a 6.2 diesel belonged to college suppose to be gm develompment engine given to them. he claimed it ran 600hp and turned 8000rpm! is that even possible or is he just yanking me around? can a diesel hold tougher at that rpms?

a guy i work with attended nashivlle auto diesel college many years ago. he said the had a 6.2 diesel belonged to college suppose to be gm develompment engine given to them. he claimed it ran 600hp and turned 8000rpm! is that even possible or is he just yanking me around? can a diesel hold tougher at that rpms?
:eek::icon_bs::dance::Eyecrazy::hmmm:

total b.s. the high perfornmance tdi motors are not even turning that high. plus how could any diesel injection pump in the 80's that fit a light duty diesel engine flow that much fuel

You guys need to go to some tractor pulls if you want to see some high rpm diesels. I've heard/seen some pretty incredible rpms from them

I have seen a Cummins 6BT machined for O-rings and balanced to run 5000 RPMs....... IIRC it had twin injector pumps fed by twin lift pumps (like separate twin fuel systems)

I have personally driven a very highly modified (and tuned) 1000 HP and 2900 ft/lb torque 3406e CAT..... needs a double stick to hold it together. and it was only certified to turn 2500 RPMs

Last edited:
in my world,8000rpm is high on a gasser too! just doesnt seem right to rew a diesel to that high rpms to get that hp.......this smells bullshit long way....

I'm going to call BS for a number of reasons. The first being power. Spinning a diesel at 5000 rpms has little to no use other than to say "yeah I can do that". There just isn't any power up there. Add 3000 more and I couldn't see you beating a riding lawnmower.

Secondly, 600hp? The very best 6.5L engines using the thickest blocks, tightest tolerances, and most fuel possible can't do more than 400hp. And they are marine engines with the wide open ocean to cool them. Thats BS there.

Then you put together an engine that was used in the early 80's to early 90's and say it turned 8000 rpm? Diesels then where not high revving like today's electronically injected ones.

Based on those positions I'm going to call BS. It just isn't possible. Any anyway, or have any reasons other than saying "I can".

I'm going to call BS for a number of reasons. The first being power. Spinning a diesel at 5000 rpms has little to no use other than to say "yeah I can do that". There just isn't any power up there. Add 3000 more and I couldn't see you beating a riding lawnmower.

Secondly, 600hp? The very best 6.5L engines using the thickest blocks, tightest tolerances, and most fuel possible can't do more than 400hp. And they are marine engines with the wide open ocean to cool them. Thats BS there.

Then you put together an engine that was used in the early 80's to early 90's and say it turned 8000 rpm? Diesels then where not high revving like today's electronically injected ones.

Based on those positions I'm going to call BS. It just isn't possible. Any anyway, or have any reasons other than saying "I can".

Agreed.

Back