• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hot transmission

Ron milum

Reaction score
Hey thankz for the invite im Ron E i have 2006 Ram3500 6WD welding truck iv had since it was new. It’s been a good truck but im having trouble with the transmission running hot,when i hook up to my camper she runs purty hot 225-230 .i put a bigger cooler on it and it s running hotter I don’t know what to do

Welcome Ron to the forum.
I know nothing about a 06 anything so I wont be very helpful with this post.
Might be some in here that are familiar with the overheating transmixer so just hang on for a while and see what happens.

The transmission cooler thermostat is a common issue.
However; use a laser thermometer to take readings of transmission cooler lines and converter heat exchanger to confirm it is indeed running hot because the Dodge trans temp gauge is problematic too.

Here is a link on bypassing trans cooler thermostat.

Then check your cooling stack for sand dirt leafs and whatever else that maybe trapped that would prevent airflow across your radiator. Have you measured temps across your radiator and converter heat-exchanger?
Another issue could be leaking "internally" valve body which could delay shifting and in return slip and heat clutches/steels and valve body itself. Have you checked trans pressures to confirm they are within specs, or?

Then check your cooling stack for sand dirt leafs and whatever else that maybe trapped that would prevent airflow across your radiator. Have you measured temps across your radiator and converter heat-exchanger?
Another issue could be leaking "internally" valve body which could delay shifting and in return slip and heat clutches/steels and valve body itself. Have you checked trans pressures to confirm they are within specs, or?
It shifts like it always has I just put a bigger trans cooler and a new radiator cleaned out Intercooler air conditioning coils oil cooler coils im gonna check the lines with my infrared thermometer and make sure it’s the temperature it says it is

It shifts like it always has I just put a bigger trans cooler and a new radiator cleaned out Intercooler air conditioning coils oil cooler coils im gonna check the lines with my infrared thermometer and make sure it’s the temperature it says it is
I just shot the pan infrared says 175 gauge says 199

Oh wow, that might be a bit warm for just idling but I really dont know for sure. I am just not familiar with trans temps.
Maybe @THEFERMANATOR might slide in and give a hint or two from His vast base of knowledge.

Cool I sure appreciate all the input I’ve been asking everyone and of my buddies said maybe my gauge im hoping

If the temps do not settle down, might want to look into synthetic fluid (if not already using it) as it is more tolerant of temperatures at that level.

Hate to steer folks away from inputs on TTS, and at the same time this topic might get some better results on a Dodge forum. If so, please post back here on TTS as we do love to see successful outcomes (of any brand).

From here its a guessing game until you check transmission pressures.

If it is a bad gauge, am presuming the plan is to immediately fix it, correct?

FWIW, the GM drive-by-wire system uses trans fluid temp as part of managing powertrain behavior. While I do not know if the Dodge drive-by-wire system does this as well, it is reasonable to expect that it does.

If it is a bad gauge, am presuming the plan is to immediately fix it, correct?

FWIW, the GM drive-by-wire system uses trans fluid temp as part of managing powertrain behavior. While I do not know if the Dodge drive-by-wire system does this as well, it is reasonable to expect that it does.
So if it is like the GM , with it shifting like it always has it should be ok rite . A shop by my house says his diagnostic’s would show the actual temp . I really appreciate your time and knowledge on this matter if you ever have any questions about WELDING im your man , been doing it all my life and that is a long time 👍🏻

The 48RE does use pan temps for control and a controller managed external throttle valve motor among other things.

Did you ever check the trans coolers thermostat assembly, or?

The 48RE does use pan temps for control and a controller managed external throttle valve motor among other things.

Did you ever check the trans coolers thermostat assembly, or?
The factory cooler didn’t have one on it it may be somewhere else I’ll look in the book and find out . But ive shot everywhere I can on the cooler the lines the transmission and no readings above 165 with the gauge showing 205-210

Back