• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hot transmission

Well possibly the gauge is wrong if it is I wonder where i would put the probe for a manual gauge
On the line coming out of the transmission will measure converter temps, on the return line to the trans to see how well your coolers are working Dodge taps into a temp sensor inside the trans pan.

You ideally have the three points to tap and install electronic temp sensors then a switch to switch from sensor to sensor to a common quality gauge.

You want to check temps at the converter or sump. Shooting a temp gun at the pan may not be the most accurate. I'm not that familiar with the 03+ as I left Dodge in 01. When converters fail it is pretty common for the cooler circuit to plug, and not flow very much fluid. And I'm not sure on the 48re, but I know earlier Dodge trannies do not circulate fluid through the cooler in park, it must be in neutral or in gear for fluid to properly flow through the cooler. I would look for the pressure test port and install a temporary temp gauge in it for testing. You may well have a bad temp sensor, but it could also easily be your trans self destructing on you. And the stock coolers on these are massive iirc, I doubt your aftermarket cooler is as good/efficient as the stock cooler. Just because you put a bigger cooler in, it doesn't mean it's better. GOOD coolers cost money. Look at Setrab if you want to see an efficient oil cooler, Earl's makes a good line as well similiar in construction to the Setrab's.

Back