• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hose to fuel monitor from LP

D2 Cat

Reaction score
It's wet, cold weather here and the truck is setting in it!!

Can someone give me an idea of the length of hose required to replace from the fuel monitor going to the steel line going to the LP?

Does this line just go down over the bell housing and clamp to the steel? If I had it on a lift it sure would be easier to see!

I've been trying to isolate fuel leaks. I accidentally left the LP running about 3 hrs. last night. This morning it looks like a "tear drop" from the width of the front tires to three feet in front of the truck some fuel has leaked from somewhere.

Everything from the fuel monitor to the IP and the WIF drain is new. Seals at FM checked and OK. Returned lines replaced on Driver side. Has to be either the return lines on the pass side or something before the FM.

Any ideas? Anyone know the length of the 3/8" hose? Thanks.

D2, do me a favor, please update your signature to give us info on the truck that you are working on, year, model, etc. It makes us easier to help you because we cannot remember everytime you post something.

IIRC on my '97 when I did my clutch attached to the clip at the bellhousing "double bolt & nut - clip holder stud thingy" at about 10 O'clock viewing looking at the flywheel the fuel line(s) were metal. So up a little bit from there to the fuel manager can't be more than 3 ft ish ? But I haven't had this line off to really know kinda making a crude estimate. Is that what you are talking about???

Is the valley of the engine wet it drains to the bellhousing area too. The drain is in the back of the V generally in the area under the fuel manager I think more to the passenger side maybe.

After a few minutes of running this afternoon I'm satisfied the fuel problem is the return lines on the pass. side. The injector closest to the firewall is wet and dripping.

I plugged in the heater for 2 1/2 hours and it fired right off. GP light was on for about 5 seconds. I don't think it cycled at all after the start.

Interestingly enough, I noticed a toggle switch mounted between the inst. cluster and the radio. I need to find out what it is suppose to do. Maybe it already has a manual GP control!

JMJNet, I think I got the signature assignment completed. Sorry to not have it posted. I just started asking question and when I got good sensible answers and something to do and a way to measure results I got too busy!

Schiker, yes that is the line I had in question. That is going to be my last area of close observation for fuel leaks. I need to get the return lines first.

When I had the engine running this afternoon, I opened the needle valve for the WIF and fuel came out while running, and engine kept running. Then I removed my paper clip to activate the LP, and the engine continued running. Then I shut the engine off and restarted it W/O the LP running----it started right up. I then opened the needle valve again and no fuel came out.

So when the LP is working there is excess fuel for the truck to run? When the IP is doing all the pumping there is no extra fuel?

When I had the engine running this afternoon, I opened the needle valve for the WIF and fuel came out while running, and engine kept running. Then I removed my paper clip to activate the LP, and the engine continued running. Then I shut the engine off and restarted it W/O the LP running----it started right up. I then opened the needle valve again and no fuel came out.

So when the LP is working there is excess fuel for the truck to run? When the IP is doing all the pumping there is no extra fuel?
Lift Pump should be working any time truck is running. Your test paper clip is just there for a test, without that there, engine running, you should have flow out of WIF drain valve or you have a problem. Lift pump in OBD-1 (94 -95) is controled by oil pressure in OPS, or Relay when cranking starter. The lift pump cannot and will not run at any other time in a stock system. Key on, motor not running will not start the lift pump...
Try taking a short piece of wire and bridging the 2 outter contacts at the OPS harness. That should run lift pump if good. If not, the OPS or harness is bad.......

Back