• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hookin the 6.5 tommorow... eek

saturntech95

Reaction score
So we have been building up my buddies dodge for a while for sled pulling (02 24V, NV5600, Kennys twin disk, raptor, colt S3 cam, 100hp injectors, edge comp box, ladder bars and blocks, weight bracket + some). He runs it in our local super street truck class. Well since our local event is tommorow only 15 min down the road from my shop he convinced me and another couple friends that we built up their trucks to come out and pull in the work stock 8500# class. Should be interesting, gonna be loading up some weight later, I have a hitch setup already and I plan on slamming the front down low and airing the fronts to 20 and rears to 30. I know how to launch it in 4lo and all any other tips or suggestions? And votes on whats gonna break?
Hopefully Ill have vidieos of all our truck up monday.
Im sure Ill be the only suburban and probably the only idiot with a 6.5 too...

I'm curious to see what lets go if anything as well. I'm not bold enough to hook to anything with mine as my front end flexes BAD in 4 hi when I get on it.

I bet it takes a block to get the diff to unlock...

put up the video! your signature tells me it it will at least be video worthy, she is a stronger than stock 6.5L, so hopefully she can put on a show, especially with the 4 inch straight piped diamond eye!

I would say you are on the right track with airing down and de-cranking the t-bars.

airing down alone does alot. it almost got my lawn tractor to pull a ECLB K2500 into the shop. before airing down, she would just spin, after, it made a hell of an effort, and left two black streaks on the concrete pad to prove it! :D

It did OK for what it is. Didnt go without issues. 4wd is kinda screwed up, for some reason the front axle didnt engage properly, now its making some noise. Needless to say I will pull it again once I get it straightened out. Next time Ill use a couple rachet straps to hold the front down and have the 4wd operational.

Other than that I placed like like 13th out of 22 so not horribly bad. Front end really pulled up even tho I had it slammed all the way down. Hopefully Ill figure out how to put the vidieo up later, I have one of the last pull.

OK I have it on youtube now so here ya go. For some reason it cut out the first couple seconds while I was getting the turbo spooled up.

[video]http://youtu.be/6KX0xlqrgIA[/video]

I bet it takes a block to get the diff to unlock...

That right there is hilarious!!

The damn Govlock in my "14" will lock up solid in a parking lot when I do a reverse to second roll (no brakes of course), and launch the truck trying to get out of everyone's way (I DO try to be polite, not sure why in libtard-ville though) :rolleyes5:. I swear, that damn diff will be barkin' and chirpin' tires for 5 miles on DRY pavement before it finally decides to give up.

Now, -roll some coal and do a one-tire "fire" around a corner? -Oh, forget about the fact that you have that damn "locking" diff back there, -because it will not apply power to the spinning tire.......-not even if your life depended on it....

Snow??? -Don't even get me started.... This diff is useless for borderline traction situations, -it almost "needs" traction on both axles to positively engage.........

Am I anywhere close here???????

I want to try pulling, but i dont want the consequences of abusing a 230K tranny..

Michael, while you do bring up a good point, there sometimes comes a time in life when you have to throw "caution" to the wind........

I'm not sayin' this is one of those times, because I don't have a spare trans to send you.

Life's a roll of the dice anyway, -Over the years, I've bought and built the best stuff I could afford and spent countless hours painstakingly assembling things, and have seen them explode into pieces......

On the flip side, I have also relied on worn-out junk that nobody else wanted that I got for "next to nothing", and have had it work reliably and serve me well for a very long time. The moral here is,.......-everything is a gamble.......some you're gonna win, some you're gonna lose.....

4L80E's have never been defined as a "weak" trans by any means......

The limited power of the 6.5 shouldn't be too hard on it....., as long as the clutch-pack is in ok shape and isn't already slippin', that 400+ pounds of torque could bring it to it's knees if it's already in trouble........-other than that, the only other enemies are heat and dirt......:hihi:

IF you do pull, you absolutely owe us a video!!!

Even if it ends up bad,....;)

Hey Rich long time no see, good to see you lurking again

Why thank you! Yes, it's been a while, -had a super busy year this year, -hoping to have a little more "me" time soon.

Work has been very hectic, but at least I'm workin'

Glad to be back!

Back