• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Homemade Grip Strut Running Boards

schulte

ACCELLERANT!!!
Reaction score
Just finished a set of running boards/steps for my truck. I've been looking for a while (the short girls always complain about having to jump up) for some decent running boards, but I've never been able to find anything to my liking... So I designed these myself.

I can post more details (and measurements) if anyone's interested in building their own.

In short, there's a 1.75" square tube 0.125" wall that runs parallel to the frame spaced 3/4" down from the bottom of the rocker panels. This tube has 4 welded mounts on each side that extend to the frame, in line with the body mounting ears on the frame. The ends of these tubes are bolted (through welded angle iron) through the center of the frame and cross-bolted to the body mounts. Metal-to-metal contact is buffered with 3/4" high density PVC blocks to eliminate any rubbing when the frame/the steps flex and to eliminate any noise/rattling.

These parallel rails each have 5 tubes that extend down; the running board supports are welded perpendicular to these (parallel to the ground). The ends of these tubes are welded closed with 3/8x16 nuts welded inside the endcaps.

The step itself is a material called "Grip Strut", which is a rigid 14ga expanded sheet metal rail 7" wide and 2" tall. Holes are cut in the back side of the rail so it slides onto the 5 supports; they're held in place by 3/8-16 stainless button head cap screws and fender washers.

I originally planned on having the mounting frame sandblasted, galvanized, and powerdercoated but that turned out to be a lot more expensive than I thought. Right now, the finish is 3 coats Rust-o-Leum primer and 3 coats high performance enamel. The steps themselves are painted with industrial epoxy (to prevent chipping).

I haven't really made up my mind as to what I'm going to do for the kick plate; I'm thinking maybe a continuous sheet of 304 stainless, because everything else on my truck is completely blacked out.

The Grip Strut material:

attachment.php

View from the front:

attachment.php

Rear:

attachment.php

Facing:

attachment.php

Sorry for the poor pix, just had my phone with me...

Attachments

• HeavyDutyGripStrut (Small).jpg
    HeavyDutyGripStrut (Small).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 172
  • boards1.jpg
    boards1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 173
  • boards3.jpg
    boards3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 174
  • boards4 (Small).jpg
    boards4 (Small).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 173
  • stepsinprogress.jpg
    stepsinprogress.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 25
THAT'S some serious running boards there!:thumbsup: Watch your knuckles when you wash the truck though.:nono:

Doesn't look like it would be terribly hard to add some mudflaps on the front, and would keep mud, salt and slush off the side of the truck.

Looks great!!!

I was thinking more about the holes in it for the traction. Great traction and they do lookl good I just don't know if I'd like the holes.

Doesn't look like it would be terribly hard to add some mudflaps on the front, and would keep mud, salt and slush off the side of the truck.

Looks great!!!

That's the plan. If possible, I'm looking to get one 11' long rectangle of stainless steel to wrap from the front mudflap to the rear mudflap and act as a kickplate.

looks great schulte....but how many times have I told you....if you don;t have running boards it makes it harder for the fat chicks to get into your truck.....look at it as a beer goggle back up plan.....now your just asking for trouble

All said and done it was probably about $350 and change in steel...

looks great schulte....but how many times have I told you....if you don;t have running boards it makes it harder for the fat chicks to get into your truck.....look at it as a beer goggle back up plan.....now your just asking for trouble

Heh heh heh. Fat chicks can't jump but neither can short chicks; there are some nice looking 5'2" girls around here ):h.

I never saw this thread, Man those look good in black on there. Those are used on a lot of rigs and heavy equipment here and work great.

Looks good. I like when they are all they way to the rear tire so you can stand up on them and reach farther into the bed.

Back