• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Home A/C Usage

Home A/C Usage

• Don't have one as I don't need it.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Don't have one because I'm too cheap.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Got one, but hardly ever turn it on.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Keep it set to 78 or above.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Set it at 75-77.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Set it at 70-74.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • OH YEAH, I BE CHILLIN!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Polls section has been dead lately, so I'm taking over!

This week courtesy of The Fermanator himself.

Since summer is starting for most of us, how about a poll for A/C useage at home.

Don't have one as I don't need it.
Don't have one because I'm to cheap.
Got one, but hardly ever turn it on.
keep it set to 78 or above.
Set it at 75-77.
Set it at 70-74.
OH YEAH, I BE CHILLIN!

I put 75-77.

I keep my A/C on 78 during the day and 73-74 at night when I sleep.

Can't sleep hot. 72-74 at night, 76-78 during day. 1939 brick house with blown attic and no wall insulation. Plaster on plaster board (small sheetrock boards), 20 year old central A/C unit. It takes a while to get it cooled down when really hot out. My wife laughs when I go out and 'water the brick' sometimes at night on the bedroom side. It helps me mentally anyway...:willynilly: Our wall catches the direct afternoon/evening sunlight making our room the warmest..:mad2:

I still remember going out on hot days and spraying water over the condenser in the A/C unit to make it get colder.

the farm house is a big ol 4,000+ sqaure foot structure build over half a century ago. ceiling fans in every room, and one window a/c unit. actually had 2 when we moved, but took the one out after a hailstorm broke the window it was in.

on a 100 degree day, we try to keep the house under 90, preferably under 85. on the worst days, the little window a/c starts at 10-11 am and runs till 7-8 pm.

so, we are cheap. :) on a positive note, it is old as heck, so if household refrigerant has changed like automotive, we got some good ozone depleting crap in there!

we do have a basement, so that is nice. in the worst of summer, I can go read farm equipment manuals when its 100 degrees out. cold air sinks, hot air rises, so I like to think the a/c goes down stairs.

Cheap ass me refused to use it for many years. 'We have a pool out there... go jump in and cool off' :rolleyes: But I finally gave up the fight and use it when we need to. I always know when to turn it on because I get 'the LOOK'---You know the one...
Keep it around 76* all the time and run the fan continuous. Makes for pretty steep electrical bills since it's about $100/mo for the pool pump too.

I forgot to post us: At home, it's 72-74* all summer long, lol. Last summer when it was 90* more days than not, it was a god-send.

If I could have one, I'd have it, but I have forced hot water heat, which does not adapt to flowing cold air very well. I have a couple of window units that I use if need be.

We just moved into a new rental house with central AC. First place I've ever lived in that has one. My plan is to leave it around 73-ish.

House we own in N. Idaho (and trying to sell) was built in 1908. Lots of fans and a window unit in my room that I'd run at night to get it below 98 degrees :( I'm feeling soooo spoiled right now.

74--76 turned on from mid February to mid October. My wife the penguin will set it at 65 if I'm out of town a few days.

We just moved into a new rental house with central AC. First place I've ever lived in that has one. My plan is to leave it around 73-ish.

House we own in N. Idaho (and trying to sell) was built in 1908. Lots of fans and a window unit in my room that I'd run at night to get it below 98 degrees :( I'm feeling soooo spoiled right now.

did northern Idaho not cool off at night like southern Idaho does? That is one thing I love about southern Idaho, it cools off nicely at night. open the windows, and the house will stay cool for a long time. heck, now that we are talking about it, granma's house, built new when the grandparents bought the place in the early to mid 70s, has no a/c, or any ceiling fans for that matter.

Our house is around 200 years old, but I gutted and remodeled from Labor Day '98 to Labor Day '99. We put in central A/C during the remodel (LP and Heat pump installed), but we only use it if it's going to be above 90 for more than a couple days. Otherwise, it stays off. It seems to cost no more to run the A/C than to run the ceiling fans. The house is fully insulated, though, with about R-49 in the attic and R-32 in the walls, so it cools incredibly well. We probably keep the A/C around 78-80, I suppose. I only use the numbers on the t-stat for a reference point. We set it to where we feel comfortable if it's on, which is rarely. Our house stays pretty cool with the windows open and there's always a nice breeze.

did northern Idaho not cool off at night like southern Idaho does? That is one thing I love about southern Idaho, it cools off nicely at night. open the windows, and the house will stay cool for a long time. heck, now that we are talking about it, granma's house, built new when the grandparents bought the place in the early to mid 70s, has no a/c, or any ceiling fans for that matter.

It cools off, but there are some slight differences that make it worse (at least in my experience)

1. Riggins to Lewiston, and up the Clearwater river and Lochsa river it gets damn hot. Not uncommon to see 120 degrees in July/August.
2. Due to the geography there aren't the constant breezes/winds that S. Idaho gets. Think stagnant air.
3. While not Georgia or Louisiana, it is more humid than S. Idaho.
4. Ever hear of Noseeums? Me neither until I moved to N. Idaho. Those bastards hurt when they bite, itch like mosquito bites, are attracted to heat/light, only come out in the evening and early morning when the direct sun is gone, and can fly right through screens.

So there you have it, my experience at least. Very high temperature, no breeze, more humidity, and you can't leave windows open at night. Forget about working in the garage in the evening without an inch layer of Deet. Only slows the noseeums down, doesn't stop them.

We have central air three zone system. Summer is usually 74* during the day and 71* at night. My wife is always cold. When we spend a lot of the day out and in the pool we usually bump up the thermostat 2-4* as it is to cold then. A/C seems to really be a personal thing.

Back