• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HOLSET HX40W, non-gated HX40 & Super HX40?

I've been reading the HX40 & it's CKO I have will benefit from a full 4" exhaust so before my CAC/IC install I'll be working on a 4" round eq oval downpipe measuring 2-3/4" x 4-5/8" it will need to be offset to passenger side so HVAC lines need modification too. I'll be using the 4" v band to a cobrahead style but without the transition to round until under the Burb. The muffler I have flows just under 700 cfm and the S&B flows 640 cfm so this will suffice.

I took my Burb to a friend & well known diesel mechanic he was impressed with the install, however he noted that I needed to make the entire runner from air filter to turbo 4" as opposed to the reverse tapered S&B runner which was designed for smaller compressor intake that I retrofitted the reason he claims is the anti surge section built into the HX and the need for the compressor to pull more air and the smaller diameter of out end of the S&B to the compressor becomes a choke point when used on the larger 4" diameter HX compressor inlet. He also said the turbo will really wake the 6.5 up after a full 4" downpipe is installed on the HX40 because of increased flow in/out.

Anyway, today I attack this task and move to the next phase.

Well I got the 4" in and now the turbo whistles and throttle response is better too need to make a front S&B box cover now or I may hack the old one to run a 4" alloy tube through it to the filter to seal box from engine bay heat.

The S&B the reverse trumpet runner from the air filter to the compressor does indeed restrict airflow to the bigger HX40 compressor.

Well, yesterday I had reinstalled the smaller CAC/IC until such time as I can get the time to do the Ram Cummins CAC/IC install after a few test runs 60 deg f outside temp. results 20 to 30 deg f above outside air temp at steady speed.

I do however need to get a 30 deg angle x 2.5" silicone hose to properly connect the CAC/IC out to the stock upper intake my jerry rigging has a straight hose kinked but when boost is applied it smooths out.

Will insulate the entire CAC/IC out pipe to keep radiant engine bay heat from soaking it.

Last edited:
Very nice work! You certainly have the heat control thing down to a science. I like the 4" elbows you have going to your S&B, but I will say things sure looked crowded under there with the CAC to intake pipe coming in on the pass side. Very nice work.;)

Matt

Very nice work! You certainly have the heat control thing down to a science. I like the 4" elbows you have going to your S&B, but I will say things sure looked crowded under there with the CAC to intake pipe coming in on the pass side. Very nice work.;)

Matt

Thanks, the S&B to airfilter section was almost a 1/2" smaller ID that the 4" od alloy pipe I have now, yes it is busy with both in/out CAC/IC pipes on pass side that is why I'm going to the Ram Cummins CAC/IC so "in" is one side and "out" is on the other side of engine bay. Driving around town and parking for awhile while shopping the bare out pipe to intake gets heat soaked so the IAT stays hotter until I get going at speed to cool it down thats the big problem with CAC/IC not mounted in front of radiator so no air is drawn through it unless fans are used for slow speeds and maybe I'll address that this afternoon.

Thank you much!

How is the heat shield holding up on your turbo? still sticking? Do you get a turbo whistle at idle? I've heard a couple videos of trucks that have a slight whistle at idle with the CKO-holset variants and I have none. Just a low rumble. love the silicon 4'' intake as well. I'm seriously considering the IC upgrade

How is the heat shield holding up on your turbo? still sticking? Do you get a turbo whistle at idle? I've heard a couple videos of trucks that have a slight whistle at idle with the CKO-holset variants and I have none. Just a low rumble. love the silicon 4'' intake as well. I'm seriously considering the IC upgrade

Holding up great, some of the adhesive below had burnt at edges no big deal as the alloy is holding together I can place my hand on and not get burnt. After I installed the larger 4"ID runner from filter to compressor it is loud way too loud even with the box on it and considering installing the silencer ring,the S&S runner was the culprit causing a restriction with the expander connector I used.

Post a video? My HX35 doesnt whistle nearly as much as I would like it to.. ah well. At least I have the 40 waiting and ready

Back