• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HOLSET HX40W, non-gated HX40 & Super HX40?

For the record the 18cm 2 turbine on this CKO makes driving more a pleasure around town and on the highway and if I just tap it a little it just goes none of that lag or late spooling I hear everyone talk of.

The exhaust tone has changed to a deeper note and the Burb sounds like a different vehicle all together.

Thats great news, and it was talk of slower spooling that steered my towards my HX40WII. Although I have a bit more cruise boost than I would like 4-6 at 70-75mph, I couldn't be happier with my turbo. Its amazing how much different these trucks are with a better turbo.

Matt

Just did the same swap on my 94 Burb ! Funny I said the same thing about the sound. Most Def sounds like a big block, and your results sound exactly like mine. Only difference are my temps are lower with the CAC. You will Def love having it! Today I was cruising at 60 and egt's were 360! Looking forward to reading your CAC install. Good job!

Also I am glad that you posted your measurements as I have a suspicion that my 16 housing is actually an 18cm. Wish I had measured like you did!

Ha, Thx bowtie! Fellowtraveler in the pics posted you said that an 18 was stamped but I can't see it. Can you point it out I can't find anything on mine. Thx!

Thats great news, and it was talk of slower spooling that steered my towards my HX40WII. Although I have a bit more cruise boost than I would like 4-6 at 70-75mph, I couldn't be happier with my turbo. Its amazing how much different these trucks are with a better turbo. Matt

Yep, these turbos should have been stock on the 6.5 td.

Just did the same swap on my 94 Burb ! Funny I said the same thing about the sound. Most Def sounds like a big block, and your results sound exactly like mine. Only difference are my temps are lower with the CAC. You will Def love having it! Today I was cruising at 60 and egt's were 360! Looking forward to reading your CAC install. Good job!

Sounds great and yes the CAC makes the difference, are you running 4.10's or? I had just assumed the CAC/IC I had installed like forever would bolt back to the intake w/just a little tinkering but was way wrong, anyway I have the WMI for any emergency that may present itself until CAC install.

The 18 cm2 was used by Dodge cummins 5.9 12 valve, various truck builders and upfitters on custom rigs so I knew the 18 would work on the bigger 6.5 just didn't know how well.

The larger turbine housings work well with the lower gearing and the smaller turbine housings work well with taller gearing.

I was running the hx40wII, which means it was the 14cm housing. I had 4.10 gears, dam that thing spooled fast.

The larger turbine housings work well with the lower gearing and the smaller turbine housings work well with taller gearing.

I was running the hx40wII, which means it was the 14cm housing. I had 4.10 gears, dam that thing spooled fast.

Yep, work's that way, I did read many comparisons relating to turbine size between the Mitsu, Garrett and Holset/CKO spooling and the Holset/CKO generally spool quicker.

Running 3.73. Thinking of going 4.10 but can't find an axle with them right now. I may just settle with an axle with3.73 and then switch out at a later date! WMI is on my list of things to do as well it would really push it over the top with the CAC! I didn't take any measurements before install (wish I had) but whatever I have the 16 or 18 it's works really well for me! cruising at 60-65 1psi. Then when needed or with a load and some go pedal she will spool up no problem! Looking forward to your CAC install! You wouldn't want to take a couple pics of your WMI and post them up would ya!

Running 3.73. Thinking of going 4.10 but can't find an axle with them right now. I may just settle with an axle with3.73 and then switch out at a later date! WMI is on my list of things to do as well it would really push it over the top with the CAC! I didn't take any measurements before install (wish I had) but whatever I have the 16 or 18 it's works really well for me! cruising at 60-65 1psi. Then when needed or with a load and some go pedal she will spool up no problem! Looking forward to your CAC install! You wouldn't want to take a couple pics of your WMI and post them up would ya!

Glad to hear your good results!

I suspect yours is the 18 cm2 4.10 gears will make it better and tune even more, my tune is from Heath and is a heavy handed one for the Gm8 will have him do another for the HX40 I've read another had great results with the HX40 tune.

I'll post CAC/IC pictures soon my older under the vehicle one and the massive Ram Cummins CAC/IC going in front of my radiator soon. The CAC/IC pipe sizes on the older CAC/IC setup are IMHO too small anyway for the bigger HX40

Here are CAC/IC images Ram Cummins and popular 3" thick core 6.5 chassis mounted showing size difference. I found the chassis mounted CAC/IC to work better when ducted. The chassis mount allows IAT to limb when idling and in slow moving traffic, the Cummins keeps IAT in check always as radiator fan pulls air over it.

As the Cummins CAC/IC goes it fits under dual headlight grille w/o having to mod lights or CAC/IC things to consider are aux coolers when using this CAC/IC the pipes will enter under battery shelves so those w/windshield washer jugs under battery must relocate it.

CAC IC 001.JPG CAC IC 002.JPG CAC IC 003.JPG CAC IC 004.JPG CAC IC 005.JPG CAC IC 006.JPG CAC IC 007.JPG

Is the Cummins I/C out of a 91.5-93 first gen, or later model truck?

It's 1994 + up, the core sizes are Cummins 1,188 cubic inches the popular 6.5td chassis mount CAC/IC is 378 cubic inches if going w/ducting for the smaller CAC/IC then minus the width of the fin openings from the overall core size to come up with duct inlet opening.

Another requirement to make things easier installing the Cummins CAC/IC is to use the Dodge Ram Cummins radiator which is recessed to fit between the CAC/IC in/out ports or use a narrower GM radiator.

Great update, thanks.

Thats fantastic news, but how does it feel?! Actually, after I initially did mine, it felt great in the mid range, but ran out of steam at about 2800 rpm's, until I turned up my fuel, to match the new found boost. Then it was like I was driving a completely different truck. All I could say was WOW!
Look forward to more reports, and maybe some pics!:D

Matt

Remember, his is electronic, so it doesn't act like our DB2's.

R Looking forward to your CAC install! You wouldn't want to take a couple pics of your WMI and post them up would ya!

No WMI just a FOGGER it is comprised of a $200. to $300. 12v 1k psi that delivers .50 gal min max using stable/barn "fogger" nozzles it is based on Heath's old WMI from years ago triggered by Hobb's valves either install in intake or fog your CAC/IC from outside when needed. If installed in intake you minus the boost pressure because it has to be overcome then minus nozzle volume to get actual working fogger psi which is still greater than any WMI SYSTEM I've seen. As a CAC/IC fogger it would be rarely needed w/cummins CAC/IC because radiator fan will pull air through CAC/IC always but IMHO a fogger is a must w/lower chassis mounted CAC/IC especially in slow or stopped traffic.

Back