• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HO pump w/single Therm (Short Term)

NickBarrFishing.com

Reaction score
I am setting aside a big chunk of the day to replace the idler arm, pitman arm, and harmonic balancer on my truck. I have an HO pump/fan (spin on) ready sitting to install. Can I install it now and run it with a single thermostat for awhile before I get the dual t-stat crossover/housing? I am hoping to know if I need to do any mods or if it will cause damage.

Thanks,
Nick

I've had the HO water pump on my truck for about 2 years with the single thermostat setup, no problems thus far. It cools great that way, i bought a new dual thermo housing/waternectr/delco thermostats but i think i'll sell those and stay with the setup i have.
Don

I prefer the single t-stat setup myself anyways... When I upgrade my water pump I will be keeping the single t-stat crossover lol.

The spin on fan and HO pump with single T stat is basically Heaths kit.

You're good to go

Yep, HEATH's new cooling system kit uses the 99.5+ spin on HO pump and he reccomends a single T-stat with an AC DELCO stat in it.

Some like the double, some like the single... IMO I think rule of thumb is just leave what ya got and clean that radiator.

Yep, HEATH's new cooling system kit uses the 99.5+ spin on HO pump and he reccomends a single T-stat with an AC DELCO stat in it.

And his kit uses the GM water pump that flows coolant evenly across both cylinder heads at a rate of something like 48% per side? I know there was an article on MaxxTorque magazine where he was testing pumps that flowed good on the driver's side, but there was a lack of flow on the passenger's side head (where you see more heat w/turbo). Also, if you were to buy his kit you'd have to get another fan clutch specific to fit the spin on style water pump right? Looking into getting the cooling upgrade setup w/ single T-stat for my friend's 94 Suburban that has used, unknown mileage water pump on it and the underflowed stock cooling system setup. We want to get the best upgrade setup, but we'd probably also have to buy the fan clutch w/ fan because he has the bolt-on style fan clutch/water pump w/ factory metal fan. Anybody have a part# for the GM water pump that flows evenly on each head? Thanks.

Well the 2000s had a different fan clutch, so as long as you have the screw on clutch, (not the bolt on clutch) then yes you can get the 2000 water pump. I think Heath still changes one of the fittings on it though to restrict flow through one of them, the pump is the same.

Well the 2000s had a different fan clutch, so as long as you have the screw on clutch, (not the bolt on clutch) then yes you can get the 2000 water pump. I think Heath still changes one of the fittings on it though to restrict flow through one of them, the pump is the same.

Buddy is right. The dual thermostat gets a restiction in the small water pump outlet and the single thermostat setup does not (for the screw on pulley water pump).

OK, gotcha so I can go to any auto parts store and buy a 2000 6.5 water pump (it being the correct high flow pump)??
Not so fast, Heath's tests settled on a specific GM water pump Part number 88894035.

Google search on a GM Parts listed this one as being used on the 99-02 year builds.

"At the conclusion of an exhaustive evaluation, we had determined a clear and decisive winner in the factory service replacement water pump: part number 88894035. This GM pump proved to be vastly superior to all others in terms of bias with a much improved and nearly equal coolant flow, side-to-side at 2,500 RPM...Where the flow rate on the passenger-side had been a paltry 22 GPM with the ’97 high volume flange type pump, the 88804035 pump provided 48 GPM!"
Bill Heath, MaxxTorque Spring 2009

The whole article is a great read.

Last edited:
Back