• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hitch help

North Maine

Merchant Mariner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I *rarely* venture out of the 6.5 section, so I'm not familiar if this section has regulars etc, but I could use some help. I rarely tow, but I do have a tandem axle flat bed bumper pull that is a converted camper trailer, it's 16 feet of deck, ~20' overall, but this is all irrelevant, the issue I have is the hitch itself, I'm used to boats, so this locking devices is strange to me, but after looking online it seems rather normal, I just don't know how to secure it in the "down" position, with a boat i run a cotter pin thru the hole, but on this there is nothing locking it... I hope these pics explain a little better than I can... does anyone know if I'm missing something on this hitch and I need to fix it or am I retarded? thanks in advance for your help.

Here it is with the locking collar down...
DSCN0012.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

and with the locking collar up
DSCN0014.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

Excellent pictures...

Ive never seen a hitch like that. It almost seems as though its missing a locking pin.

That's what I thought... I'm starting not to feel so retarded. Maybe I can just weld up a tab with a hole drilled in it?

Is there something underneath where the ball goes into that locks it into place?

Yes, when the collar slides down it locks the hitch to the ball, and when the collar is up the hitch can slide off... is that what you mean? it is easy for me to unlatch this thing, that why im afraid a bump might do it on the road... it would have to be one serious bump, but I like mechanical reassurance.

Excellent pictures...

Ive never seen a hitch like that. It almost seems as though its missing a locking pin.
I've never seen a hitch like that either.

I would be concerned too. I like to make sure there is a positive locking device that will not allow it to come unlocked if you hit a bump.

Who converted the trailer from camper to flat bed?

It looks like they left out a tab or something with a hole so that you can slide a pin through that hole in the latch and lock it in place.

I've seen and used that type of hitch. There is suppose to be another piece inside that prevents it from coming apart when you put a pin through the two holes.

If I were you I'd have a welding shop replace it with a bulldog style tongue. They are sooooo much easier to deal with IMO. Or they may be able to weld the other piece back on that is suppose to be there.

Yup, most definitely missing a piece. I had a trailer with that setup in the past, and it had another part sticking up that the pin caught. Easy fix, do like you said and weld a tab down there.

Back