• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Highest HP ever out of a 6.5

Nothing on my farm gets an easy life....every machine is expected to pull its own weight....

I do agree though - more and more of these trucks are just seen as grocery getters for the guys in the burbs...sad really...

I deleted the post Chris responded to as I did not wish to offend anyone, but He responded too fast, so this was my post. It meant no pun. I love the D-Maxes and will own one one day.... when the wife gets a job and when I can buy a decent one for 7-8k........... Didn't want you guys to think Chris lost his mind and is talking to himself, lol.

"Yep, a whole 'other league of yuppies it seems............ I see more of these trucks driving around with suits on........ Its like the next Corvette. Old white man's ride.

Hopefully yours will actually do some work, as it was inteded for."

Back on track. Ian, there was a tractor (tractor pulls) rigged up with dual IP belted together for timing. Nice video somewhere where it blew something out the side of the block. Perhaps you've seen it. Someone will chime in with the link. Maybe it'll help you think outside the bun.

Slim said in one of the more recent posts on the ATT that he wished his was stock compression instead of 18:1. He also said the ATT is more for towing than performance even though it performs well. I read a post a month or so ago that a guy had a holstet w/ 18:1 compression that he had turned up to 20 psi w/ no problems. Obviously he had an inner cooler. Just a thought. Maybe slim will chime in.

Rodd said:
He also said the ATT is more for towing than performance even though it performs well

That's sorta funny, Rodd... I remember when Bill Heath took my truck for a romp after he tuned it, he commented something like that. IIRC, it went something along the lines of 'I wanted to build trucks that would pull hard and be reliable, so that's what we started with. It's sort of a side benefit that they turned out to be lots of fun, too. We started working on performance after we noticed that.'

I laughed like hell, because my goal in having him work on it was to get it to pull that big 5er of mine better (which it did) - and I could already tell that I was gonna get myself into trouble with the law over the way it drove. It was a whole 'nother truck.

i think the big part of 6.5 performance is our lack of being able to flow a lot of fuel. ever think of putting in a DB4. all the mods in the world to improve breathing are not going to do much if you dont have fuel to meet that air. BTW how much fuel can a DB4 flow. and if you guys are going for performance i think you need a different turbo if you got the money. just like rodd said ATT is a towing turbo. slim and turbine doc have said that from the beginning.

We are using the new ATT turbo and the GM8, we will dyno both the same day. I am not so much worried about turbo lag do in part to the use of nitrous and the way we run the truck on the dyno, I won't have them even start tracking HP untill the truck is at about 50 mph and the converter is locked up. This should help with any lost bottom end boost pressure.

The only part about a towing turbo is that is not fastest off the line, otherwise its all the performance you can handle. Throw more fuel at it and you get more boost. I have seen 17psi at high speeds. The good thing about it is that you can add more fuel in terms of propane and methanol and it has the oxygen to combust it all.

There are places that can build/modify any injection pump you want, just call around and look beyond the big suppliers ;)

Exactly. Who even said that it would have to be a rotary? I have a Bosch 8-cylinder "A" pump sitting on the bench at home right now. When my DS-4 takes a dump, guess what is going in my truck? 100cc's would be a walk in the park for that thing. Now, if the pump drive system could just handle the load...

Regards,

I think an intercooler that would compliment the ATT would be one of those barrel water to air intercooler units PWR. Not sure maybe a big short one plumbed as inline as possible with custom intake top. That shouldn't produce much restriction to the intake and with propane and nitrous the ATT might build upwards of 20 + psi???

I read where TD said he liked the ATT w/o intercooler better but that is with an A/A unit and some appreciable piping losses I am supposing. I think one of the major benefits of the ATT is less back pressure. So you can't increase intake resistance or it will take more drive pressure and degate some of the gain over the GM-8.

I think most of the piping losses are due to direction changes of the air flow so an inline straight shot intercooler might work well. PWR claims minimal pressure drop across thier coolers. The key would be a short fat one that could fit between the turbo and the plenum on top of the motor again without significant flow direction changes. Or something custom incorporated into the top hat of the intake.

If you are going for a record dyno run a big ole cooler of ice water in the bed would be ideal to super cool intake charge after the regular cooler/exchanger for street.

Wouldn't there be other ways to program the fuel output to be non linear for Dyno/Performance/LOW END power only?

May raise EGT's greatly?

about 190 HP and 380 torque would be some good numbers to go on.

Thats advertised F engine. I think the S engine was 165HP? Sounds so low, but don't forget it makes the torque at a very low RPM range. Unlike advertised Gasser power where needs to be in the 4000rpm range, making most of it unuseable for regular driving/grunting.

Remember that HP number you are talking about is at the crank and not at the wheels. We are looking for 350hp at the wheels.

ZEX has nitrous kits that cool intercoolers to :D

Goldsburg, nice to meet you by the way :)

The truck is getting a ZEX nitrous system, in fact it is the same one I used on my truck when I worked with ZEX to come out with a good system for the 6.5, it takes care of any turbo lag off the line for sure and helps burn the added fuel such as propane and water/meth.

I got the ok from the owner of the truck so I am going to try and start posting pics of the build every few days so you can see what has been done so far.

Back