• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HID All 4 on Hi Install

Big T

Reaction score
Completed the HID All 4 on Hi install on my son's truck. Came out good and we like the housings. Going to pick up another set of these housings, as they come and go with availability and our trucks aren't getting any younger.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 16
So couple days after the install and no Lo beams. Tested with different ballasts, and no go. Checked all the relay fuses and they're good. Sometimes when you turn on just the top headlight switch, you'll get a brief flash of the Lo beam. So I'm thinking the headlight switch is gone and I'm ordering a new one.

While I'm ordering parts, the turn signal lever does not return to off on a left turn. Is that the turn signal cam?

When my headlight switch failed from oversize bulbs neither high or low worked. There's some sorta bi metallic thermal switch in it that overheats cuts out and when it cools comes back on and gets progressively worse.

What year truck? When the headlight switch goes out, they all quit. You need to get a test light out, and see if you have power to the ballasts when they're on. If not, see if you're losing power or ground. Did you install relays, did you add in dedicated harness's or use the stock ones? If you kept the stock wiring, you have a fire waiting to happen with that tiny ground wire that GM used for the headlights. GM used about an 18 gauge wire for both high and low beams to each headlight assembly, and to do the all on mod requires an add in harness, and relays. Otherwise you are begging for an electrical meltdown with those 20 gauge power feed wires and under sized grounds.

When my headlight switch failed from oversize bulbs neither high or low worked. There's some sorta bi metallic thermal switch in it that overheats cuts out and when it cools comes back on and gets progressively worse.

Thanks. I ordered him a new switch. The HIDs are 35 watts.

What year truck? When the headlight switch goes out, they all quit. You need to get a test light out, and see if you have power to the ballasts when they're on. If not, see if you're losing power or ground. Did you install relays, did you add in dedicated harness's or use the stock ones? If you kept the stock wiring, you have a fire waiting to happen with that tiny ground wire that GM used for the headlights. GM used about an 18 gauge wire for both high and low beams to each headlight assembly, and to do the all on mod requires an add in harness, and relays. Otherwise you are begging for an electrical meltdown with those 20 gauge power feed wires and under sized grounds.

Truck is a a 1994.

Used the stock harness. The Lo and Hi have separate harnesses with relays. Used the Painless All 4 on Hi relay.

For a 94 you need to look at the dimmer switch on the column. If it was the headlight switch, you'd have no lights. Did your harness's have there own grounds? If not upgrade them PRONTO! As to the turn signal switch, 94 is a bit different. It maybe as simple as the screw that holds the canceler arm onto the switch has come loose. If it was a 95, I'd say put a switch in it, but 94 has a bit more to it.

Both the Lo and the Hi have their own relay harness with direct positive and negative connections to the battery posts. Lo is connect to driver's side battery; Hi to the passenger side battery. The existing truck light harness plugs into the relay harness, which in turn connects to the respective Lo/Hi ballasts and then the ballast to the respective HID bulbs. We're using the compact digital ballasts, though I did some testing with the bulky old ballasts on both sides of the Lo. Absolutely certain those battery connections are good, but I will test again at the plugs with a test light when I get home this evening.

The All 4 on Hi relay also has separate positive and negative connections going to the driver's side battery. Then it taps into the truck's wiring harness for the lights inside the engine compartment, right behind the battery.

Did some tests with the 12v test light and it was the blade fuse in the HID relay harness. It was an old harness that had seen some weather and the blades on the fuse were corroded. New fuses on both HID relay harnesses cleaned that up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back