• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hi Folks, a dyed in the wool truck lover here.

Killain

Reaction score
SE Pennsylvania, right on the delaware River
Hello everyone, I'm Killain and I have been with a truck for quite some time now. My first "Judy" is a 1990 restored Chevy Silverado. This was my first in a long pathway of restoring of trucks. She came from some very nice folks out in SW Pennsylvania. I drove her home on a warm July evening the 117 miles back to my home where we started a restoration on here, took about a year, took the bed off and lifted the cab and replaced all the body mounts and then two weeks of all the dents. She didn't have any accidents, but had her share of mishaps' as a work truck. But she ran smooth straight and smooth and I can still the farmers trucks loaded with manure wafting through the windows. But in the end, all we had to do was replace the corner on the passengers side where rust had claimed home.

But this truck was a learning curve for me as well. shortly after getting home, the front clutch pack locked up and she had to go to the local and very well trusted transmission shop. It has a 700/R4 and it wasn't too bad at $1400.00 , but these thing tend to grow on you and once all the bodywork was done, (we only painted the black portion) and we still have the gold portion intact. I installed a Jasper remanufactured 305 of which they only use the block, heads Cam and crank) so long as there isn't any cracks or other fault, a good deal I think. and I installed a new Dura-grip posi-traction rear in. it's not a lot and the interior I only did the carpet and headliner.

I don't want to bore you all, but from the moment I started work on her, she had 100.000 miles and always had this sloppy soft brake pedal that scared the hell out me a number of times, and I visited a all of the truck websites and asked to longs end, until I found the answer. And it was so simple I don't know why more folks haven't done it. Everyone tells me that all of the 1985 to 1995 Chevrolet 1500 pickups, I swapped ,out the brake master cylinder from the GMT400 platform to a 2002 GMT800 master cylinder. It was , or is like night and day. Good solid brake pedal, can lock up all 4 if you need to , but the Anti-lock module keep the rears won't lock. Now since I went that far, I pulled the brake booster too and as I thought, it had a lot of rust undersides, so for the low cost it went out too. I've added a picture of the GMT-800 master cylinder so you can see. it bolts on and the only mod is a change is the forward outlet that isn't the 1/2x20 like the back it's 3/8x16 if I remember. You can find it @ the 68-72 truck site. That's all I got folks,

Killain

Lots of work but it's a truck you can throw some cloths together hope in the cab and point it westward till you hit saltwater and your in SANY0168.JPG SANY0167.JPG SANY0166.JPG SANY0163.JPG California. And she won't so much as burb on the way. Fantastic truck and one I wouldn't swap out for a brand new Silverado.

Thank you, it took a lot of work, and it's a truck you could grab a bag of cloths, gas it up and point the nose westward and hit the road without so much of any doubt. It is a very solid truck, bed off restoration and all the running gear is either new or overhauled. But it wasn't beat to death when I bought it. And all the suspension has been rebuilt or replaced with brand new. Like the lower control arms are way cheaper to buy the whole arm with ball joint and bushings instead of trying to just install the different parts. and "Up-grades as we worked out way . Like I installed a rear stabilizer kit as it didn't have one, but it was offered by Chevrolet back in 1990. Only drawback is having to buy Chinese parts like the outside mirrors which said the were chrome and their rusting from inside and the outside ? They fit but don't last too long. I included the picture of the GMT-800 platform which changed the brake system 180 degrees. Now it a solid pedal and sure stops. Took a lot of work, and thank you !

Last edited:
Back