• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hey 6.5 owners that have ham radios

nvmtnlion

Got 1911?
Reaction score
Heya all,

This may be of no consequence to anyone who isn't a ham, but it could explain the wierd jumping the speedometer does when you start up in the morning.

The other day I was driving along listening to 6 meters, and discovered a very odd signal on 51.022 Mhz USB that was an odd carrier that was being "chopped". I was listening to it and starting to wonder what stray ground I had and was this the PCM, when I came up to a stop sign and heard that the chopping of the signal changed with vehicle speed and stopped when the truck was sitting still.

So, being the experimenter I am, I started rolling again and switched the radio to CW and keyed up to see the speedo go to 0 as long as I had the key down.

I wonder if some kind of RF interference rather than electrical interference that causes the crazy speedo when ya first start the truck in the morning.

Hmmm mabye it is just being a ham operator. I don't have a ham radio in my truck but my speedo jumps around when I first start up. A friend of mine called his truck 62 because it caused interference on 146.620, which unfortunatly is the frequency of the local repeter.

LOL that's funny! I know that 1994-1998 Ramchargers have a signal on 50.110-50.125 that you can hear for miles.

LOL Thankfully this truck only affected those who were right by it. I'll have to take my hand held out and see if I notice the speedo acting up.

my truck does it but i dont have a stock radio in mine but wut else could u think it could be

97 CK 2500 4x4 straight pipe aka old red

Back