• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help with a 95 6.5 no start

That shall be my plan for this afternoon. I can have ot tested but my parts store offers no warranty on starters or electronics

Wow. Dont buy there anymore. And fyi, best starter your gonna find for any engine is made by Powermaster. For this engine it’s not the #9052. Look into them for your cummins starter if you do get one after this. Summit racing is probably the most popular source.

And just saying guys, my ac delco starter is retailed 575$ at lordco. With my discount its like 326$

The powermaster is $277 free delivery and the best starter out there. Check YouTube to see before and after videos- they crank way faster and stronger and don’t draw any more amps.

AC Delco is normally a great starter, but they we t downhill a few years back. Hope yours is ok and just a small issue you can find.

Nope. Gonna disagree whole hearted on that starter. Why? It hasn’t been 2 months since a lurker on this forum who lives in North Las Vegas got ahold of me for desperate help needing to fix his work truck. So I drove an hour to him, we troubleshoot everything and removed his 4 month old starter- the exact one you posted. Afaik he still is trying to get some money back from it.

His truck has over 225,000 miles on the engine and was rough starting with using my old ac delco starter I have as my spare with descent blow by and old injectors, etc. He ordered the Powermaster from a hotrod shop near his house where his neighbor worked and got him a few bucks off. 3 days later he came out to my house and returned my starter. And was all excited to show me how his truck starts now. A world of difference.

If someone is broke, then tear the starter apart and buy brushes at true value/ ace hardware/ lowes even sells brushes if needed most of the time 1000 grit sand paper and they are good along with where they contact. YouTube diy how to rebuild will buy time on an old starter. If it all goes wrong, they just reassemble and still use as a core if needed.

Otherwise invest is the best one. Lower amperage draw and turning the engine faster to start- both are a no brainer to being advantageous. New AC Delco from an authorized dealer ONLY would be my second suggestion. I like rock auto, but buy parts from them and try to get the factory - AC Delco, Bosch, etc. to honor their warranty or be liable to replace secondary parts like they normally will- and you are 100% lost. Think rock auto stepped up and helped when my Bosch glow plug destroyed my piston? HAHAHA nope! I will still buy things from them- like about to order two new headlight assemblies for a Toyota pickup. But things that I know to expect warranty to deal with of critical components- nope- not worth the risk of saving $5. When my rockauto window regulators (off brand) for the 01 suburban went to crap in a couple months- it took a couple months of fighting on the phone before they returned money towards the purchase of the AC Delco ones. No joke, 2 days later one started messing up. I was so mad- went and bought one at a dealership I used to work at and swapped it there in the parking lot. Sent it back direct to ac Delco - instant money credited and they contacted me wanting to know where i bought it because it was a knock off. The guy emailed me pics showing how they could tell. I still got my credit- but he said if I had tried via RA- flat out no. So be cautious what you get and from where. I get they are a vendor here and I appreciate that. ButLeroy goofs -always fixes it- I ordered a wrong part and he still covered MY mistake. Les had a bad radiator and Chris, TSP, said he would eat it in ven if the radiator company didn’t. Those two are companies you can buy from and know they will take care of it. RA- last time I tried, I couldn’t even talk to a person. Just the email game. When a person has extra money, they can risk a bad new part, or risk paying for shipping twice, and risk waiting an few extra days and drive a second vehicle while waiting on the emails before they return the wrong part and that to be verified and then the correct part to be sent out. But when that isn’t an option-

I have such a starter. There was a problem with him. but I fixed it quickly. And no problem 7 year.

I have such a starter. There was a problem with him. but I fixed it quickly. And no problem 7 year.

Exactly my point. Why should anyone have to fix a starter before it gets 7 years old? Buy high quality when it is available and can be afforded. $140 ish after shipping, then EXPECT a problem, or spend more and have no problems along with the engine starting much easier and extended life of the battery because of less load. Let alone when things are bad like a worn or improper starting engine or low batteries etc.

I think everything will break someday. and for $ 500 and $ 100. Even the sun goes out. there is a choice to wait a couple of months, give a bag of money, or buy here and now affordable Turkish or Chinese .. the starter performs its functions, to start in any frost, it is better to twist than a native with a direct drive. people burn with hands from their shoulders, if necessary, you can easily fix the malfunction.

Aaron if you cross the two posts on the starter does it spin?
i'm talking the two large connections,.
and what year is the truck?

Picked up a 95 6.5 that was supposed to have a shot flex plate. Found it was just the starter was the wrong starter so got that sorted. I have the starter solenoid going direct to a switch off the battery trying to start it but it will not start. Pmd seems to work as im getting diesel to filter fast, it cranks and smokes white but no start, could use a hand with figuring out this problem

My starter had number scratched off at junk yard. Painted weird gray blue. Might have come off farm equipment. Took a chance for 50.00. hasn't missed a start since.

Well guys, a bit of a sad ending, eventually sold the truck to a guy that after a day tried to take me to court for selling him a truck with a siezed motor. I won after showing the court that the motor did indeed still rotate freely. Ended up putting in a new ignition switch, starter, flex plate, fuel pump, and glow plugs and circuit. Never did find out why it didnt fire

@Aaron b
So what is the next rig you are going after? I think most of us have been down the road of one or two vehicles that just didn’t turn out like we expected.

Well guys, a bit of a sad ending, eventually sold the truck to a guy that after a day tried to take me to court for selling him a truck with a siezed motor. I won after showing the court that the motor did indeed still rotate freely. Ended up putting in a new ignition switch, starter, flex plate, fuel pump, and glow plugs and circuit. Never did find out why it didnt fire
Did it crank?

Back