• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help with 6.5td

Sustrak(CZ)

Reaction score
Hello, I'm thinking about buying a Chevrolet Silverado 6.5td, I'm from the Czech Republic in Europe, and nobody here has this experience, I wanted to ask you if you have experience with this engine, I read about the relocation of the PMD module on the Internet. that's all, thank you or Chevy k1500. The link to you I got from Mark Hinkle from 65 turbogarage

Welcome to the forum. @Hink knows his stuff and has a very good website for 6.5’s

When you go look at it pull of the oil fill cap and crank the truck to check for blow-by (smoke will come out if it has any). That’ll tell you the condition of the piston rings.

When you first try and crank it check for smoke out the tailpipe. If it has any What color is it and how long does it last.

When you crank the engine, open the brass T valve on the front of the engine. If the engine dies then you know it’s time for a lift pump.

Check transmission fluid and see if it’s low or dark colored or smells burnt.

Other members will probably remember more to look for once they see this

Do you know anything about diesel engines yourself? Do you do mechanical work on your own car?

Paying someone else to work on this pickup is a bad idea. It costs them time and you wind up paying to train them on how to work on something they never seen before. This appears to be a rare engine for your location.

Next question is find out if you can get engine parts like cylinder heads easy. Shipping, import fees, etc. all add up quickly. This is a throwaway engine with not good odds of being rebuilt due to cracks in heads or block.

IMO the miles are high and past the 200k average head gasket life.

Could be a great truck. Could be a lawn ornament because no one can keep it running or get parts.

Yes all the repairs on the car are delam itself, the replacement of the brake pads or the replacement of the seals under the head, the exchange of turbos, the wiring ... I have experience with a lot of motors .. and I deal with the performance of the engine vw 1.9tdi 2.0tdi but the American engines do not know :( I'm sorry for the errors in the text, I'm using a google translator :/ :D

That is most of the way through it’s life. It could be good for a lot more years, but you will have to rebuild major components, and often new engine replacement is same cost or less than rebuilding.

Keeping these trucks for many years and complete rebuilding makes sense here because all parts are easily available.

This engine is a simple pushrod IDI diesel. Some items GM went cheap on. Value Engineered. The castings: Block, Crankshaft, and heads are prone to cracking. The cast crank will break if the Harmonic Damper on the front of the engine fails. Note there are two dampers on the front of the engine. One for the Belt drive and one for the engine. The timing chain stretches out from the IP Shock loading and at some point starts hammering the exhaust valve tips. Long after the timing has gone retarded from a streached, not worn, chain. 30,000 Miles will streach a chain pretty good.

The PMD electronics are the biggest screw up both from the high current design and bad location for the PMD. Primitive Computer that can't identify a PMD failure, period.

Other than that parts costs here vs. modern HPCR DI diesels are low. Esp for Surplus used military engines. I doubt you have these surplus military engines available to you.

WarWagon!! Thanks for info with balancer and with damper :) this same problem with balancer have engine from vw :D 2.5tdi (rotary injc. Pump) 5cylinder :D can you better and more precisely describe the problem of chain timing? Thanks!:)

Back