• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! Stuck On Heat

Chevypoor

Reaction score
I am 100% clueless on the HVAC set up on these trucks. The truck in question is Gertie, a 1995 GMC with factory air. The AC does not work. However even on the vent setting on cool mornings (in the upper 50's) she will blow hot air. Have been in other 95s with non working AC and the air from the vent mostly reflected the outside air. When I turn the key to let the glows light I can hear a whirring noise from under the dash in the vicinity of the glove box door. I can also hear the blend door (or a "door") pop open. Any thoughts/ places to start?

A/C control heads are VERY problematic for the 95's(one year only item, looks the same as 96-99, but they don't interchange according to the catalog). Also the motors that control the A/C doors can strip over time and cause them to go all over the place.

Red neck fix. Put a valve in the heater hose or loop/bypass the heater core. No hot water= no hot air.
Works ok til winter gets here.

Although the link spells it out:
1) Check the two wire connector behind the glove box for melting. It will be a large red and black wire perhaps wrapped in foam to keep rattles down.
2) Add a ground wire from the blower motor to a good ground place in the cabin.
3) Replace blower motor with ACDelco if the connector is damaged as motor could be drawing too many amps on the marginal GM wires.
4) Likely you need to replace the HVAC control head. Again, only after checking the connector and adding a ground. Our 1995 Yukon did this random full hot and a control head fixed it.

DO NOT USE THE A1 CARDONE replacement parts!!! A1 CARDONE could screw up a wet dream as a local shop just went through 7 of these on a Malibu and none of them fixed the bumpy AC kicks out button issue they have. A dealer part fixed the issue. :rolleyes5:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...ickers-w-blower-off-amp-erratic-or-no-airflow

Although the link spells it out:
1) Check the two wire connector behind the glove box for melting. It will be a large red and black wire perhaps wrapped in foam to keep rattles down.
2) Add a ground wire from the blower motor to a good ground place in the cabin.
3) Replace blower motor with ACDelco if the connector is damaged as motor could be drawing too many amps on the marginal GM wires.
4) Likely you need to replace the HVAC control head. Again, only after checking the connector and adding a ground. Our 1995 Yukon did this random full hot and a control head fixed it.

DO NOT USE THE A1 CARDONE replacement parts!!! A1 CARDONE could screw up a wet dream as a local shop just went through 7 of these on a Malibu and none of them fixed the bumpy AC kicks out button issue they have. A dealer part fixed the issue. :rolleyes5:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...ickers-w-blower-off-amp-erratic-or-no-airflow

Cardone used to rebuild them for gm, dont know if they still are or not.

Thanks for the help I will check into it..... Fortunately (for the sake of wanting heat) winter is around the corner.

Back