• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help Please

rjohns

Reaction score
"95 chevy 6.5 diesel, getting fuel to high pressure pump but not from the high pressure to the injectors but will stert with ether?

Where is the PMD/FSD? High pressure pump meaning the IP? Not a good thing to use ether..

Why is it that no one believes the sticker on the intake that says DO NOT USE STARTING FLUIDS ENGINE DAMAGE WILL RESULT.

Why is it that no one believes the sticker on the intake that says DO NOT USE STARTING FLUIDS ENGINE DAMAGE WILL RESULT.

LOL... probably because of the same reason nobody believes they can go to Vegas and lose their shirt... :D

Step right up. ladies and gentlemen, take your chances with the wheel of misfortune... :)

Sorry for having fun at your expense, rjohns... please, please, don't use ether in your 6.5 diesel. Bad things happen, all too often, and they can include bent connecting rods, which pretty much means a new engine.

We can help you figure out what the issue is with your truck, and fix it so that starting fluid never has to enter your mind.

Follow the suggestions above, fill out the checklist and your signature so we can 'see' and 'hear' your truck, and welcome to our happy community!

Problem: Explain your problem in concise language (ie: Cranks but won’t fire).
crank but will not fire up.

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: _1995_____
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) ___c3500______
- Automatic or Standard _auto_________
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) ____195,000_____
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc)
bosh injectors, ip, pmd, lp,
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? f with turbo
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) __78 f________
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) ___#2______
- What fuel additives are you using? ______none_____
- Where are you located? ___certral fl.__________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter ___new______
- Fuel filter ____new_____
- CDR Valve? ____new_____
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at ___just done__________
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at _____reg. just changed______
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at ____new 100%_________
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): ____yes__________
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? _3500________ What type? auto lite___________
- Injectors - last changed at ___3500 mile ago____________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? __two mouths ago
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? ____good_________
- Has this problem ever happened before? __________no_____________

95 6.5 truck turns over but will not crank.
3-4 sec. for wait light,
75 degree f,
plenty crank amps and speed, two new charged 900 ca battery's,
starter new three weeks old came off my 97 6.5,
no obstruction in air box or turbo,
195,000 miles,
injection pump changed, new parts on it seems to indicate.
ds4 pump
cleared codes then turned engine over, scanned again got #17 & #18
fuel filter new, lift pump two weeks old off of 97 6.5,
i will remove grounds clean and reattach tomorrow am,
also will check Vin and erg info tomorrow am,
94 Chevy 6.5 3500 dually
has off road from previous owner truck ran then sat, i removed starter, turbo sensor, till i paid the 800.00 off then we brought it home took two mouths. put parts back on and it would not start.
pmd mounted on pump, unplugged and used 97 pmd/fsd no luck, grounded to pump.

it turns over, lift pump pumps up into filter, prime it good then check to see if fuel getting to ds4 by removing shut off solenoid, fuel pumps out at same volume as filter, uncap fuel line at injector check while cranking and have no fuel just drip.spray diesel in it cranks as long as i can feed it. think pump but know it ran and pump seems new, also don't understand code #17 & #18 . please guys help i have try ed every trouble shutting sequence i can think of.
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. ______________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) _y___ And? ____17 &18

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? ___n______
1b] Does the engine crank over? ____y____
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? ___y______
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? ___y_____
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? __y_______
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? __y_______ For how long? __5 sec._______
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? ___n_____

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? ___y_________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? ___y______
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ____y_______
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? ___n______
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? ____?_______

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) _______on pump____
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? _________
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. _________
3d] PMD Make: ___________
3e] PMD Age: _____new________

As well as cleaning the grounds, clean the fuel sol fuse and ECM fuse. They are 20 amp and are located in the fuse panel in the engine compartment. Use emery cloth or a wire brush on the fuse spades and shine them up. An electrical cleaner sprayed in that panel wouldn't hurt either. I've had these give me problems before. Leo

I don't quite get some of what you wrote but was the issue no start and then someone tried to change the IP ? On a 95 IIRC you have to be real careful that the same model pump was put back in. I am dealing with a bddy in NY who swapped a pump on his 95 and I beleive he had a 5068 and put in a 5521. No can do without swapping PCM. Maybe a clearer explaination of how it came o a no start condition ?

You put a new PMD on the stock pump location? The symptom sounds like PMD.
Where did you get your PMD, is it brand spanking new nobodys ever put it on any engine or one of those "Good used"?

Ambient temp is not cold enough to warrant any other problem. Unless the IP put in was on its way out also.

Still clean all electrical connector, inspect the cable.

In the stock location, some people have a lot of luck and they run for a long time but those people are mostly in the cold country. In the south, when the winter are mild, the PMD usually does not last too long in the stock location or anywhere inside the engine.

Hence, a solution to put the PMD (becomes FSD) outside the engine compartment mounted on a heatsink. All people have to do is to extend or get an extension of the cable (about 6') and mount the heatsink on the bumper or skid plate (a version of Heath).

If you still have a doubt, read up on this thread "PMD story" by TurbineDoc, one of the most experienced person that has been in the 6.5 community a long time:

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=6573

after install of pump owner let truck sit and sold it to me 6 month later. truck ran fine !!

Back