• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help please

Rogerhsr

Reaction score
I have one more issue it appears I have a oil consumption problem I disabled the fuel pump and the engine seems to be running off of oil it’s smoking blue smoke and I also see oil residue coming out of exhaust at bottom of turbo any advice? One more the thing I will tell you the engine was turned upside down on engine stand for a bit but I believe that oil would’ve burned off by now it wasn’t that much

If you ligit are running off the engine oil- you are playing with fire. That is how diesel runaway occurs.

You only have a couple places oil gets into the cylinder. Rings toast and blowby- that is the worst and rebuild is the only answer other than a couple magic bottle attempts like “Restore”.
Next is valves bypassing oil. You sometimes get away with just pulling valve covers and rocker arms then throwing on some new seals. Otherwise it is remove head and do valve job.
Then a bad turbo seal sending oil down the intake. Turbo rebuild. This is dangerous too because If that oil goes out the hot side of the exhaust and the exhaust is hot enough it will ignite. Flame out the tailpipe end or out any leaks in pipe can start a fire.

Last is the cdr system is simply pulling oil through and dumping into the intake. Clean everything and just vent to atmosphere as a test to see if that is the issue. Putting on an oil catch can like the provent instead of a cdr solves that one.

How often you have to add oil can be a tale- provided it doesn’t leak oil from bad gaskets.

If you ligit are running off the engine oil- you are playing with fire. That is how diesel runaway occurs.

You only have a couple places oil gets into the cylinder. Rings toast and blowby- that is the worst and rebuild is the only answer other than a couple magic bottle attempts like “Restore”.
Next is valves bypassing oil. You sometimes get away with just pulling valve covers and rocker arms then throwing on some new seals. Otherwise it is remove head and do valve job.
Then a bad turbo seal sending oil down the intake. Turbo rebuild. This is dangerous too because If that oil goes out the hot side of the exhaust and the exhaust is hot enough it will ignite. Flame out the tailpipe end or out any leaks in pipe can start a fire.

Last is the cdr system is simply pulling oil through and dumping into the intake. Clean everything and just vent to atmosphere as a test to see if that is the issue. Putting on an oil catch can like the provent instead of a cdr solves that one.

How often you have to add oil can be a tale- provided it doesn’t leak oil from bad gaskets.
Also I wanted to let you know I didn’t have intake boot installed on the turbo when I cranked it so the cdr wasn’t hooked up

The fact that it will crank and run with the fuel pump disabled has me very concerned and it’s dumping out very heavy smoke out the exhaust and it appears to be blue

It would probably take a good hour run time to clear the cylinders of oil after the engine was rolled over.
Get that lift pump functional once again so You dont destroy the Injection pump, then, after that is accomplished, with the engine running, remove the oil fill cap and see how much blow by is present.
If You can not determine that the blow by is too much then, take a short video, post it to utube then post the link in this thread.

Which means the seals are shot and you are about to the point where shaft/bearing wear will allow catastrophic contact between extremely fast spinning wheel and stationary housing.

Oil coming out of turbo could indicate bad turbo bearings.
YUP.
I believe I have most all the important upgrades taken care of on My K3500 so, this will be the next thing for Me, seal and bearing/bushing kit for the GM8.
GM8 gets Me by, I probably will not be pulling any big loads from here on out so, I`m thinking the GM8 will stay on this unit for a very long time.
The eldest boy child that lives here got that brand new 2019 dodge 3500 so I doubt I1ll be needing the K3500 to do the heavy haul types of trips from now on.

@MrMarty51 how does that Dodge 3500 perform, have you had a chance to observe it in action?
Only on a dry run up and over the Yellowstone hill. I seems to have plenty of getup and go on an empty box.
Earlier, a couple of months. he came over driving a 2017 Dodge Charger, one of them Hell Cat things and was talking of ordering a brand new one. He was telling Me of the dealer taking Him for a drive and He was using the red key fob. The dealer let Kelly take the car but with the black key fob only, which, the red fob is about 300 horse more than the black. Oh yeah, that was when I told the son that he would be better off getting himself a newer pickup as his old Dodge with the 360 gas was in pretty bad condition and in need of a lot of work. I was surprised when after a week or two He told Me he had ordered this brand new truck. LOL
Now, when he was taking Me for a drive in this new truck, I asked him if it came with a red key fob, nope, only a black. LOL

Back