• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! Not Starting After New Fuel Filter

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Just got done changing the OEM fuel filter, followed all the steps, to take it off and install the new one including to loosen up the bleeder screw and prime it. Closed the screw once I saw there was fuel coming out of it, and then primed it a few times more until the primer felt stiffer when pushing down on it. Truck started up right away with the fuel left in the rail, but then died after about 45 seconds running. Primed it a couple more times, got it to fire up one more time, for about 30 seconds, but again died. I have tried a couple more times, but no luck. I will let it try to turn over for about 5-6 seconds, but nothing. Is there something I am missing or not doing? Was pretty easy to change out the fuel filter but this seems to be the only snag I have ran across. Thanks for any help.

YOu probably have a slug of air in there...I had the same problem...kkep pumping and bleeding...and if the bleeding gives you no air...just keep pumping and then retry...repeat as often as necessary...

When I am priming it, I am getting a little bit of fuel running down the side of the filter. Does that top o-ring need to be pushed down in the groove on the top of the filter or just sit on that groove and it will go down when the filter is tightened up?

I ran my truck out of fuel recently and to get it going I changed the filter and primed until there was no bubbles in the fuel. To get it started I had to prime while my wife cranked it over. Try having someone prime it while you crank it.

I ran my truck out of fuel recently and to get it going I changed the filter and primed until there was no bubbles in the fuel. To get it started I had to prime while my wife cranked it over. Try having someone prime it while you crank it.

I'll try that when I get the battery charged up. Ran the damn thing down. :cuss:

IF YOUVE GOT FUEL RUNNING DOWN THE SIDE OF THE FILTER,,STOP,, YOU NEED TO SPIN THE FILTER LOOSE AND PUT THE FILTER BACK IN THE GROOVE ,,ITS NEVER GOING TO SEAL

12ga any updates on how you made out with this?

Tried about 3 more times getting the filter back on, each time still getting the fuel out of the top of the filter (large O-ring). Finally got it to work. I really couldn't see anything wrong with the filter itself or the O-ring. But I finally got it on where I could prime it and not have any fuel running down from the top of the filter. First time I tried to turn over got nothing. Tried a second time after a little more priming, and started right up. Let it idle for about 5 minutes in the driveway and then drove across town to get fuel and since I was on that side of town, I figured I would stop at Home Depot too.

The old the filter had 9400 miles on it and the element was black about half way up with some good sediment at the the bottom of the eleiment. I didn't notice any lack of power before I changed the old one or loss of fuel mileage for that matter. I had been upwards of 20-20.5mpg. With the new fuel filter on, boy can I tell a difference in throttle response. Almost no turbo lag and I can only hope that the mileage will go up a little bit more with the new filter on as well.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. My new filter is an ACDelco and I have to say I'm not real happy with it. For one, the price ($42.00):eek:21: the trouble I had with it, and third, I wasn't too happy with how the O-ring sat on the top of the filter and just the overall shape. Maybe it was just me, but so be it. I think the next one will be a Wix filter for about half the price and just as good if not a little better protection.

good,but you always need to use the new o-ring,i use a little oil on it too,sometimes it can be a pain in the butt

good,but you always need to use the new o-ring,i use a little oil on it too,sometimes it can be a pain in the butt

Did use the new O-ring with the new filter, both on the top and on the WIF sensor, and used some vasoline on the top O-ring.

Tried about 3 more times getting the filter back on, each time still getting the fuel out of the top of the filter (large O-ring). Finally got it to work. I really couldn't see anything wrong with the filter itself or the O-ring. But I finally got it on where I could prime it and not have any fuel running down from the top of the filter. First time I tried to turn over got nothing. Tried a second time after a little more priming, and started right up. Let it idle for about 5 minutes in the driveway and then drove across town to get fuel and since I was on that side of town, I figured I would stop at Home Depot too.

The old the filter had 9400 miles on it and the element was black about half way up with some good sediment at the the bottom of the eleiment. I didn't notice any lack of power before I changed the old one or loss of fuel mileage for that matter. I had been upwards of 20-20.5mpg. With the new fuel filter on, boy can I tell a difference in throttle response. Almost no turbo lag and I can only hope that the mileage will go up a little bit more with the new filter on as well.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. My new filter is an ACDelco and I have to say I'm not real happy with it. For one, the price ($42.00):eek:21: the trouble I had with it, and third, I wasn't too happy with how the O-ring sat on the top of the filter and just the overall shape. Maybe it was just me, but so be it. I think the next one will be a Wix filter for about half the price and just as good if not a little better protection.

you just answered a question I've had for a while about the o-ring groove. I've been using napa gold 3910 filters I bought from a vendor here. The groove for the o-ring is one of the crappiest setups I've ever seen,it doesn't retain the o-ring for crap and if you even look at it sideways putting it on its going to slip and not seal for you. I was curious if that was only an issue with the filters I got or with others as well.

I've never had a problem with the o-ring slipping and have used pretty much every fuel filter under the sun (AC, both white and blue styles and the NAPA 3910). Make sure you lube the top o-ring, grommet, and WIF o-ring before installing. They tend to be less "grabby" on the dry surfaces of the mount that way. I use Parker O-Lube, commonly known as monkey snot before installing my filters. Put them on hand tight and they come right off by hand next time also.

BTW if anyone is interested in getting some tubes of either Parker O-Lube (barium soap based) or Super O-Lube (silicone based) for this purpose I can suggest an industrial seal distributor that will sell to joe cash customer without having to open an account.

I know how to install an o-ring,I'm an aircraft mechanic and install them daily. The groove on the napa 3910's I have are too small in width to let the o-ring sit as securely as it should. I just ordered some parker/racor pff5544. I guess I'll see if they are any different.

Just to clarify: I wasn't accusing you or anyone else of doing anything wrong, please don't take it that way... simply sharing what has worked well for me in the past and that I have not experienced the same issue with the gland at the top of the NAPA/WIX filters. That's what this site is about; sharing ideas and helping others. :)

FWIW, up until about 1.5 years ago all the filters (including the NAPA/WIX and old white can AC with the tan colored plastc) were made by Racor because they held the only patent. Pretty sure that's not the case anymore since the new blue AC filter with the black plastic top is made by Champion Labs. There are also now some Chinese knock-offs which I believe Baldwin and a couple of others sell.

Just to clarify: I wasn't accusing you or anyone else of doing anything wrong, please don't take it that way... simply sharing what has worked well for me in the past and that I have not experienced the same issue with the gland at the top of the NAPA/WIX filters. That's what this site is about; sharing ideas and helping others. :)

FWIW, up until about 1.5 years ago all the filters (including the NAPA/WIX and old white can AC with the tan colored plastc) were made by Racor because they held the only patent. Pretty sure that's not the case anymore since the new blue AC filter with the black plastic top is made by Champion Labs. There are also now some Chinese knock-offs which I believe Baldwin and a couple of others sell.

no offense taken,thats exactly what I was trying to do as well.:cornut:

Back