• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help Needed (lost all electrical power)

Kap270

Reaction score
Fellas, I need some help with my 94' K2500 6.5td Suburban. This morning when I went to start it I turned the key, waited for the glow plugs to heat up, then tried to start. I heard two clicks and completely lost electrical power. No dash lights, no radio, no climate control, and the headlights had no power either. Even the engine bay light on the bottom of the hood wasn't on. Periodically I get power back, but the same thing happens again. I cleaned the battery terminals and checked and cleaned ground connections, and everything has 12.4v. None of the fuses are blown in the internal fuse box and I replaced the two 30A ignition fuses. Anyone have ideas, I'm pretty lost.

By “cleaning terminals”- did you remove them, clean and reinstall? Some folks think cleaning while assembled is ok, it isn’t.

Check the not fun side of those battery cables for being tight.
Check the fuseable link.

Once thats all done, try bypassing the ignition, (bad ignition switch)?

Insanely rare but I have seen the harness attached to the fuse block come loose.

I missed that. Power goes from the passenger side battery down to the starter then up to the power strip on the firewall above the passenger side head. Check if you have power there.

Dismount the negative battery cables from the batteries.
Remove the ground cables from the engine and scrub them with sanding paper until they are bright and shiny.
Remove the right side inner fender well, get to the battery post on the starter and scrub it until it too is bright and shiny, and the nut to cable surface too and the fusable link wire connector hooked to that wire needs a scrubbing too.
I like to use a little anti corrosion compound after cleaning components,
Install the battery to starter cable then give the start a try.

Still no luck. I did remove the battery terminals when I cleaned them. They had really minimal corrosion so I didn't think that would be it. The fuse-able link seems to be good. Showing 12.4v and showed good continuity when I removed it from the power strip and battery. The fuse block harness is connected although I haven't checked the pins yet. Maybe the ignition switch is bad? How do you bypass the ignition? Never had to do it before.

Thanks for the help fellas. The fuseable link was showing positive when I checked it with a multi-meter and the ground wire seemed good, but I ran out of ideas and replaced it and now the truck starts just fine. Thanks again.

Back