• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help. I’m reaching my limits.

Reaction score
Hoping someone can offer some guidance here. 94 6.5 3500. A month ago I thought I had filled my truck with bad fuel because it started jerking and bucking under load, I immediately put some sea foam in on the side of the road but it persisted occasionally for next week or so. I replaced ops, filter and lift pump. Pressure was 2 psi and now is around 5 or 6. Thought I had it fixed but yesterday it was running so bad on freeway I could barely maintain 50mph. I pulled off and it got progressively worse until the accelerator had no effect on rpm and truck stalled in intersection. Had it towed( from an hour away from home 😟). Hoping someone has any inkling what could be going on. Btw, I have remote mount pmd already. Tank filter? Injection pump screen?

Need a fuel pressure gauge tied in just before the IP to monitor fuel pressure as it's acting up. Could be as simple as a bad fuel tank cap.

If there is bad fuel, you need to get the water out of the system by draining it to the t-valve drain in the front.

Replace the fuel filter.

Seafoam is not going to magically remove the water.
You need a diesel additive with water demulsifier (separate the water from fuel).

If it has too much bad fuel, it may even need to be drained and replaced the fuel.

If you can proof that the station sell you bad fuel, you may need to go back and tell them?

Last edited:
I replaced filter a few days ago. Wondering if debris could be blocking pick up in tank intermittently. Just filled it up and it seems to be running fine.

Drain some fuel from the ffm and let it sit in clear clean container a few hours to see if water or other contaminants are present.

did you have/ check clear return line out ip?

did you try spare pmd?

Back away from the fuel tank with the Sea Foam! It contains alcohol aka "Dry Gas" that takes any water in the bottom of the fuel tank and suspends it in the fuel, makes it near impossible for the factory water separator to knock it out of the fuel, and delivers the water to the IP and injectors where it can do the most harm. Bluntly Sea Foam isn't helping and depending on how much water is in your tank may be hurting.

Back away from the fuel tank with the Sea Foam! It contains alcohol aka "Dry Gas" that takes any water in the bottom of the fuel tank and suspends it in the fuel, makes it near impossible for the factory water separator to knock it out of the fuel, and delivers the water to the IP and injectors where it can do the most harm. Bluntly Sea Foam isn't helping and depending on how much water is in your tank may be hurting.
I would have thought that would be preferable to the pump picking up straight water but you’re right about defeating the water separator.

I drove a 94 for 16 years. Had this several times. Once was PMD, another time it was the the filter on the optical sensor.
My injection pump co. told me to remove the electrical filter on the optical sensor and throw it away. I did this , never ran one again.
Thank you. I just read a post from someone who described my situation precisely, and remedied it by removing that filter. I never knew it was there. I’ll give it a shot, it seems to be running better now but I haven’t been out much.

I,ve had the exact same problem a couple of times,, in my cas it has always been the pmd
When it cools it works fine,.
If it happens again slowly pour cool water over it and try it.

I,ve had the exact same problem a couple of times,, in my cas it has always been the pmd
When it cools it works fine,.
If it happens again slowly pour cool water over it and try it.
Thanks it just happened again yesterday. I opened the fuel filter bleeder heard it suck air in. I’m thinking I need to drop my tank and take a look but it’s almost full as luck would have it.

Back