• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help design big rusty trucks turbocharged air cooler

Nessmuk

Reaction score
I'm looking for a low budget inter cooler, charged air cooler, whatever you call it, for my big rusty truck. Old, used parts, what elbows and fittings etc. Pretty much a do it on the cheap parts kit list.
I run an 86 K30. I call it big rusty truck because my other vehicle is an 83 Plymouth Scamp.
A behind or in front of the radiator might work, but I do have a bunch of aux coolers and fans there. A below the bumper is out for fear of puncturing it. An above the engine is doable even if I have to cut the hood.
I like the looks of the narrow factory ones in front of the radiator.

I just picked up a dura-lite CAC from my local semi-wrecker for $80 CAD. Will take some modification to make work. Core measures 22Wx12.5Tx3D. like Will L. said, measure fer what ya can fit, then go bug every wrecking yard. Might find a deal.

20170223_155057.jpg
20170223_155111.jpg 20170223_155041.jpg
In/Out will be relocated to the side of the tanks, so that they're parallel with the core. Overall Volume( if intercoolers are compared this way) is 880 Cubic inches. The cooler from a 7.3 PSD is around 1000 cubic inches. Plumbing will pass through the core under the batteries. Upper intake will turn 180 degrees to face drivers side. I know our trucks are very different, just wanted to point out that sometimes you can find OEM quality stuff for cheap. Do you have any pics of your K30?? sounds neat.

Yes and no. I have no issue making boost. I'm anxious to see how much pressure drop there will be and what the change in drivability will be. If it doesn't work out then, I'll just shelve it for another project. I will start a thread after this semester when my summer car is back on the road.

Back