• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help 2003 z71 4 l60 wont come out of 2nd gear

Robmac

Reaction score
Trans was working fine just had rebuilt prob didnt have 600 miles on it when my son borrowed it to go to work one day when it was storming. He drove thru about 4 in of water across the highway speedometer quit working abs and brake light came on and will not shift out of 2nd gear. He took it to a shop they said no codes but replaced the vss sencor still no change . They said had to be trans and wanted 1800 to rebuild it. I went picked truck up so far I have checked all grounds checked all fuses changed computer me and the guy that built the trans a good friend of mine pulled trans back out checked everything internally and it still looked like the day he done it. I'm at witts end here I have saw alot of these truck has had this same issue please help I'm at my witts end with this thing

Sounds to Me like some components took a heck of a bath. Need to unplug all connectors and see which ones is flooded.
Welcome to thetruckstop RM.

Sounds to Me like some components took a heck of a bath. Need to unplug all connectors and see which ones is flooded.
Welcome to thetruckstop RM.
I have unplugged and checked all the connectors put the electrical grease on them and still nothing

I`m just not good enough on them to try to figure it out in a forum. If it was here, I`d be all kinds of tearing things apart till I got it figured out.
Sorry about that RM.
Might be someone with more on the know will jump in after a while.

I`m just not good enough on them to try to figure it out in a forum. If it was here, I`d be all kinds of tearing things apart till I got it figured out.
Sorry about that RM.
Might be someone with more on the know will jump in after a while.
Thanks that's kinda what I've been doin reading and tearing stuff up

If the speedo is out, abs & brake light on, then you have a problem with either the speed sensor in your transfer case, the wiring to it, or the reluctor in the transfer case. The VSS(sensor in the rear of the transfer case) is a twisted pair of wires running straight to the PCM. The PCM takes that signal and sends out the 4K ppm signal to the speedo, signal to the ABS(I can't recall if it's 4k ppm or 128k ppm on an 03), and uses those values internally to control shift points. You need to get a scanner on it and see if the PCM is seeing the VSS signal and go from there.

If the speedo is out, abs & brake light on, then you have a problem with either the speed sensor in your transfer case, the wiring to it, or the reluctor in the transfer case. The VSS(sensor in the rear of the transfer case) is a twisted pair of wires running straight to the PCM. The PCM takes that signal and sends out the 4K ppm signal to the speedo, signal to the ABS(I can't recall if it's 4k ppm or 128k ppm on an 03), and uses those values internally to control shift points. You need to get a scanner on it and see if the PCM is seeing the VSS signal and go from there.
How do I check the wires

How do I check the wires
Start by ohming the speed sensor wires to check for continuity, excess resistance, and/or shorts. Check the jumper harness and all connections in it that runs from the back of the trans into the transfer case harness, and then to the output speed sensor. Then get out your dvom and see if you get an AC voltage output from the speed sensor when your moving.

Start by ohming the speed sensor wires to check for continuity, excess resistance, and/or shorts. Check the jumper harness and all connections in it that runs from the back of the trans into the transfer case harness, and then to the output speed sensor. Then get out your dvom and see if you get an AC voltage output from the speed sensor when your moving.

Update on the truck it has all gears now. It was the connector on top of the transmission that the vss plugs into. Thank you for the help I was seriously at witts end with it.

You're not the 1st person to get bit by the connection for the jumper harness, that's why I brought it up because of how many I've seen fail(especially after recent trans work). I normally take them out and solder & heat shrink them. They did it so they could use 1 harness for all truck's instead of a different one for 4x2 and another for 4x4, but all that plastic breaks down over time, and eventually gives trouble.

You're not the 1st person to get bit by the connection for the jumper harness, that's why I brought it up because of how many I've seen fail(especially after recent trans work). I normally take them out and solder & heat shrink them. They did it so they could use 1 harness for all truck's instead of a different one for 4x2 and another for 4x4, but all that plastic breaks down over time, and eventually gives trouble.
It sure got me

Back