• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello again it's been a while

I've had 58 of my peers that hired in around same time as me in 1986 that were"voluntold" it was time to retire, last one left June 30, using CV-19 cash flow woes as the reason for down-sizing our businesses globally the 1st cut was we will "allow" 15% of workforce turning 60 by June this year to retire early now (then April) with 1 week pay for every year of service bonus and start drawing pension early as well, then when they didn't hit the desired # they upped another 10% participation for 25% total reduction and changed to eligibility of 60 by Dec. 2020. Those that wanted to stay were told to rethink that because if numbers were not met the coming RIF would impact them and they would not qualify then for the incentive bonus. :(

RATZ I'll just turn 59 this year, and I doubt the offer will apply for me in 2021 when I'll be zeroing in on 60, pension participation freezing this Dec. no more additions by self or company allowed, or additions to salary increase after then so 401K only. I had planned to semi-retire at 55 the visit by hurricane Katrina me at ground zero for that visit in 2005, and market "bump" in 2008 had me thinking of staying until age 65 for a little better pension....well with the freeze now to stay at current pension accumulation pot, not much incentive for me to want to stay any longer than I have to.

Plus with all the vacated experience and me being "the last guy" with any experience how to make the final delivered product work my work just picked up SIGNIFICANTLY>

Training all the new folks left behind to try to recover all the lost tribal knowledge when 58 of our most experienced engineers, techs, and customer service managers supporting 33 navies and commercial turbine powered ships pulling an "Elvis has left the building departure" at the same time, I never thought I'd be one of the "old guys" with the info, but accepted that over last few years along with the other "old guys".

Never in my wildest imagination would I have ever considered the possibility that I would be "THE LAST OLD GUY" turn out the lights when you leave guy, that I was not/am not ready for. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I would be revisiting your pay or the work load. In other words give em only what you are getting paid for. Otherwise they are screwing you and getting away with it. As well as screwing the "experience" their ignorant management/owners just forced out. The company may fail from stupid greed like this before your hard work can help save it. Training your replacement for free is just that...

Great to see you back! I came back not too long ago because of a project 6.5 and because I have a new "desk" job. Don't have the 6.5, but still have the desk (or 3 desks, haha).

Been wondering what you've been up to - and completely understand stepping away.

I would be revisiting your pay or the work load. In other words give em only what you are getting paid for. Otherwise they are screwing you and getting away with it. As well as screwing the "experience" their ignorant management/owners just forced out. The company may fail from stupid greed like this before your hard work can help save it. Training your replacement for free is just that...
Have been backing away told my replacement time for him to step up to the base plate shop was his, I have a app on my phone for countdown as of today 1 yr, 3 mos, 23 days from the Do NOT Piss me off I can leave at any time with pay zone.

Another friend asked if I was in the ROAD program he had not seen me on ships lately...Retired On Active Duty as we used to say in USN, not quite there yet, maybe when I get down to (3) digit midget < 365 days until retirement eligibility date, I may resemble a ROAD program participant :)

Good to see you back here, Shipmate... things have changed in our lives, but old friends are an anchor to better times.
Thanks my good friend and to the rest of you wishing me well, I've missed my 6.5 therapy group..."Hello my name is Tim I have been addicted to 6.5 Diesel sounds since 2000, it is an affliction, possibly no cure on the horizon, but I take it one day at a time"

I'm Soo ready to retire.
I retired after 31 years with the Montana DOT as a heavy mechanic.
One day after I retired one of the guys comes riding by My house when I was checking the mail. he stopped His four wheeler and said, Well Martin, How are You liking this retirement stuff ?
My reply to Him was, I never imagined that life could be this nice. LOL
I have read some of Your tech articles, all top notch and right to the point of repair.
Welcome back to thetruckstop.

Back