• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HEEEEELP

HemisAreSlow

FREE!!!
Reaction score
Just got done installing 2" lift blocks and airbags.....and now I have a pretty substantial vibration/shudder on acceleration....any ideas?

Sounds like you have a u joint binding,either because pinion angle is to steep, or axle is not sitting in the locating pins and causing the bind. If you jack it up by the rear housing and rotate the driveshaft You will feel the bind. if It's in the u joint you will see the play in it. If the joint is good you will encounter a hard spot when turning the shaft which will indicate pinion bind and you may have to put an angled shim in there to correct the pinion angle. Shudder on acc. is likely do to the pinion angle and a 2 to 4 degree shim shoud take care of it.

so if thats the case how to I go about fixing the bind? Not quite sure how to/where to shim....

They go on top of the raise/lowering blocks that you installed. The shims have a hole in the center to center them on the block. The stud on the top of the block is where the shim will go, you install with the wider part of the shim facing the rear of the truck to effectively raise the pinion angle to eliminate the bind,but also if you are raising the truck with the help of the air bags, try taking the air out of the bags to see if the problem lessens. If it lessens the problem you will need a steeper shim if you plan on using the air bags to help raise the vehicle. Maybe as much as 6 to 8 degrees.

You didn't mention if you put a full lift kit on, so I'm assuming you didn't. If so please let us know as there are remedies so the front doesn't bind also.

I do have a full lift....7" bds...used new springs to lift the rear but it didn't lift it enough to keep a slight rake on the truck so I added the blocks...there is no air in the bags at the moment

So I brought the truck to a dealer near my job site this am......they said they thought it was a u joint but wouldn't touch it under warranty because the truck had been "altered"......called the dealer near my house who I usually bring it to and the service manager said no problem.....just got a call from the dealer and aparently while on a test drive the tech was doing 30 and steped on it to get up a hill and "something went bang" they think either tranny or rear end.......won't know more till Tuesday....hoping it is the tranny and it is covered under warranty.......truck has 98,029 miles on it

WOW! At least the tech at a 'friendly' dealer did it.
He didn't step on it just to get up a hill. He hammered it to see if it would break... it broke.

So I brought the truck to a dealer near my job site this am......they said they thought it was a u joint but wouldn't touch it under warranty because the truck had been "altered"......called the dealer near my house who I usually bring it to and the service manager said no problem.....just got a call from the dealer and aparently while on a test drive the tech was doing 30 and steped on it to get up a hill and "something went bang" they think either tranny or rear end.......won't know more till Tuesday....hoping it is the tranny and it is covered under warranty.......truck has 98,029 miles on it

Good luck with that, but even a friendly dealer won't "eat" a trans or diff repair on a truck that has been altered, just too easy for them to say no and GM will back that call, I hope your dealer will support it, but I would not hold my breath on that one.

I never understood that. If it's a warranty call doesn't the dealer get paid by GM to fix it ? Why would they want to turn work away when they could just keep thier mouths shut and get paid to fix it.

before I did anything to this truck I went to this dealer and spoke to the service manager....his stance was this...he said "We sell more corvettes than anyone else in NY....most of those cars get modded in some way shape or form...I fix those under warranty....so as long as you dont bring me your tranny in a bucket I fix your truck too"

So according to the dealer....due to my pinion angle......the end of my drive shaft has become "mushroomed" to the point of needing a new driveshaft.....anyone ever hear of this? The pinionangle didn't look that steep to me

Sounds like they mushroomed it when they blew the u-joint apart. It didn't happen on it's own. Look for marks under the truck where the d-shaft hit when it was flailing around when the joint came apart. It is their fault and should be on them to repair the shaft and any body damage under the truck. It passed a visual insp. before they took it out and destroyed it, therefore they can't lay it on you. Hopefully you don't have to fight them to keep them honest.

BTW it was the rear joint that failed right?

They just told me the truck is still driveable.....I don't think the u joint has broken yet.....they said it was mushroomed to the point that they could not get the u joint apart.......still not sure how it mushroomed in one day and 50 miles of driving with the blocks in

Mike, I would say the the increased pinion angle has caused your trouble. By adding the 2" block you pushed it a little further exposing the problem. I would add the wedges to correct the pinion angle.

I know 50 miles does not sound like very far but that drive shaft does a lot of rotating over those miles.

Dealer quoted me 630 for a new drive shaft plus 143 in labor to install it....I told them I could get the drive shaft from GM parts direct.com for 335 plus shipping......they came back and said they would do 450 on the shaft....still waiting on a price to have them shim it to a proper angle

Back