• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heaviest Load You Would Pull...

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
What is the Heaviest Load you would Pull WITHOUT Trailer Brakes?

This would be on Generally Flat Ground, since I Live by the Beach, there really aren't any Hills in my Area, it's all just mostly Flat.

I would not go over 5,000lbs my self.

What is it you are trying to pull?

A single wide. :rof:

alot of variables for me to decide. I have towed 18k behind me with no trailer brakes, went about 30 miles didn't go over 45 and not much traffic

It would be a 7x14 Enclosed Trailer, Loaded with ATV's, Gear, some Tools incase someone Breaks, ect...

I wouldn't be Hauling it more than 18 Miles each way.

3500-4500 would be maxed for me. I don't mind a leisurely drive but sure as hell you will need to make a panic stop that particular day and you don't need that.

I think my boat is listed at 2100 dry weight (hull) so with motor, trailer, and loaded for lake maybe ~ 3300 lbs? It stops pretty good as long as I am not in a hurry.
I'd go heavier I think I towed about 6000 lbs once (small farm tractor on car hauler) but was a long time ago with not much traffic 2 lane roads with 45-50 mph max speed (and I slowed near intersections and drove extra defensively). Not sure how fast it would stop I did not try a hard stop. Probably about as fast as my gooseneck with trailer brakes at 15000 lbs GCVW. Just more danger in jack knife without trailer brakes.

I think SC says any axle over 3500 lbs is suppose to have brakes so double check trailer/tire rating. Put some weight in bed so rear has more traction to help stop.

Looks like I'd be right around 3000lbs with the Trailer Loaded. Could be a lil more, could be a lil less.

I'd say def. Under 3500lbs though.

I try to stay under 5,000 pounds, but have towed 8,000 before without brakes for a short distance.

I hauled 4 draft horses in a living quarter trailer out of state and back before.. dont know what that grossed... but my old 6.5 dosnt go fast enough to have to worry about stopping :D

we had 6 individual corn head row units on the bed, a 8 row head on the trailer, and a 18 foot 4 section undercutter behind the trailer. if the truck and trailer weigh around 15 empty, I am guessing we were closing in on 25K with no brakes.

I had the 4 wheel discs skidding to a stop on a few crossings. all dirt county roads, all 35 mph or less.

anything is possible if you go slow enough! :)

I've had 25,000 lbs of hay (triple rack loads) push me out of the field, down the field cut and onto the road. Got it stopped but that doesn't make it OK.

We all know what opinions are like and here is mine. We have all done stuff that probably wouldn’t be a good idea for a normal practice. That being said, the answers to your question may or may not be facts and they are also not relevant. What I might do depends on the circumstance at the time. Doesn’t make it right or safe but we did it at different times. A 7 X 14 trailer will almost surely be a single axle. I don’t know about the laws in the Far East where you are but in the Midwest it is unlikely that it would be required to have brakes. Not that they don’t care or anything like that. It’s just not heavy enough. Did the manufacturer put brakes on it from the factory? If you load it with the stuff you have mentioned, I wouldn’t give it a thought unless the roads were a bit slick. You won’t be very heavy at all with that. Drive it safely and you will be fine. Don’t know how much you may have pulled a trailer, there is a little difference but a trailer that size should track well and should also be no bother.
My opinion here.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Maxx: 3500 lbs, with the Duramax should be no prob.

Most I've towed w/o some sort of trailer braking has probably been around 18k combined, as our current car trailer doesn't have brakes...

I'm still Looking for a Good Deal on the Trailer. There are alot For Sale Locally but the People will not Budge on the Prices.

I REALLY Missed Out on a Helluva Deal for one. I think the Person just Decided to Keep it. It was a Barely Used 7x14 for only $2k. As Fully Loaded as you can get a Trailer.

Yea unless you find one from an individual you’re probably not gonna get a much better deal than that from a dealer. By fully loaded I hope you mean with tie downs installed and LED lights. That’s a couple of things I wouldn’t have a trailer without them. That’s a pretty popular size for a lot of homeowners so they don’t deal much on them. It’s take it or leave it. Scan the local ads or Ebay for one. There are usually a lot on there and you might be able to get a better deal from someone in the area. Enjoy the trips. It looks like they would be fun.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Yea unless you find one from an individual you’re probably not gonna get a much better deal than that from a dealer. By fully loaded I hope you mean with tie downs installed and LED lights. That’s a couple of things I wouldn’t have a trailer without them. That’s a pretty popular size for a lot of homeowners so they don’t deal much on them. It’s take it or leave it. Scan the local ads or Ebay for one. There are usually a lot on there and you might be able to get a better deal from someone in the area. Enjoy the trips. It looks like they would be fun.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Oh yea, it had Full LED's (Inside & Out), Flush Pop-Up Tie Downs, Black Exterior with Diamond Plate Corners and Wheel Wells, Dual Axle's with Forged Wheels, ect... the List goes on. I saw it when I was still Shaky about getting a Trailer, but now I wish I got it. It had ALOT of extra Money put into it.

It was a Haulmark Edge Series.

Man that does sound like a nice one. LEDs are the only way to go and the diamond plate does look sweet. Didn’t look like too bad of a price for all of that. Haulmark does build a nice trailer. Good brand with usually good dealer network. Keep looking and find another. Sometimes hesitating ain’t good when it comes to deals. Get one and enjoy it.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

I am real keen on having brakes on all trailer axles. Had a few scary moments. I went with brakes even on my tow dolly. Its a wide version and I have had a suburban and several full size cars on it and I am soooooo glad it has brakes. I also have a ex 1950's uhaul that has no brakes but its a little thing 4X7 so no big deal there. I am of the opinion that when the trailer with no brakes approaches say 3/4 the weight of the tow vehicle, you are getting into the area of go slow and pray. If your pickup is empty go heavy on the tongue weight if you can. So if I am towing a Sub on the dolly with my Dodge Ramcharger then the load weighs a bit more than the tractor and I want dolly brakes. Color me less adventurous than most. Some of youse guys exploits makes my sphincter tighten. Safety engineer here I wear a belt and suspenders. :hihi:

More of my opinions here……

Yep, I'm Looking every Day for them. I'll get one soon. Not in a Hurry, so it's Good. :)

I am real keen on having brakes on all trailer axles. Had a few scary moments. I went with brakes even on my tow dolly. Its a wide version and I have had a suburban and several full size cars on it and I am soooooo glad it has brakes. I also have a ex 1950's uhaul that has no brakes but its a little thing 4X7 so no big deal there. I am of the opinion that when the trailer with no brakes approaches say 3/4 the weight of the tow vehicle, you are getting into the area of go slow and pray. If your pickup is empty go heavy on the tongue weight if you can. So if I am towing a Sub on the dolly with my Dodge Ramcharger then the load weighs a bit more than the tractor and I want dolly brakes. Color me less adventurous than most. Some of youse guys exploits makes my sphincter tighten. Safety engineer here I wear a belt and suspenders. :hihi:

Mad Maxx
When you get the wagon post a pic somewhere of it. Call me crazy but I like the look of nice trailer too. Like I said LEDs and diamond plate are a couple of my favorites. Must be the chicken hauler in me. :thumbsup:
L98TPI you are spot on here. Your assessment of the need for trailer brakes is right. There is no such thing as too much brakes back there particularly if the load is heavy. You can almost always turn it down a little if you have lock up on an empty wagon. A little common sense should apply but that doesn’t automatically come with it when they sell you a trailer hitch. Good post there man. Couldn’t have said it better myself.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Back