• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heath is going to Bonneville.....

We did 153 today and the guys are on there way home. Thanks to everyone who supported us in this project. I had my guys do some video, so I will be putting together a DVD that we will have available on the site once I get it done.

Regards,

Ian Carver

Yeeeeeee.......haaaaaaa......

cu/ Paul :D

Heath land speed racer

Hello all;
Thought some clarification might be helpful about now. Yes, our engine is quite stock in its configuration. It is the engine this truck was built with. The stroke is stock, the rods are stock, the pistons are stock and the compression ratio is 21.3:1 (again---stock).
The heads are stock 6.5 however have been fitted with larger than stock valves. The heads feature intake and exh runners that are untouched----not ported. They do enjoy a thermal barrier coating for whatever that might be worth. The cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, springs, retainers, locks, sprockets and chain are all stock.
Understandably, all dimensions and clearances are carefully established and the rotating assembly is balanced perfectly.
The engine features custom headers and turbos (details restricted-sorry).
Boost pressure was 22 psi at max speed. EGT was 1140 on both sides at speed.
Coolant temp never exceeded 192*.
We avoid air to air intercoolers on these trucks and use water injection on our racer. Pure water----no methanol.

The DS-4 is a 5521 fresh out of the Stanadyne box. The injectors are Heath HO's. The computer programming we went 153 with is our regular Max E Tork GL4 with an altered max rpm limit of 4000.
We had planned to use a very special Bonneville program but managed to forget this back home, locked in my desk. We decided that since we were limited to 4000 in the prom we had with us, we simply changed the axle ratio up to slow the engine. I made full throttle upshifts at about 3900 and the truck ran through the trap at 153 mph and 3850 rpm. Plans would have had us making upshifts at around 5100 with a high gear trap rpm of 4600-4800.

Our truck retains its legal highway use status with cruise control, tilt steering, factory stereo, power windows, etc. In fact, while cruising along at 153 or so, I was listening to the announcer on the radio as he announced my speed. The truck felt as though it could have maintained that pace for a long while. It seems to suffer no ill effects by these 150+ mph trips across the salt.
We are confident of 157 or so with only minor changes to our base setup. Plans for next year include a 5-speed trans for a reduced parasitic loss and greater consequent speed. We think 166 is a reasonable expectation next year. As time passed we will work toward 190 and when we are that close to 200-----well, you get the drift.
Of all the automotive / mechanical thrills this old man has enjoyed over the years, this one takes the prize!! None can compare for me.
I wish to encourage all of you to consider land speed racing your 6.5.

Bill

Absolutely Outstanding, Bill -- thanks for being such an inspiration and thanks for the support you've provided for so many of us with our 6.5s.

Jim

Bill... what can one say... it gives me goose pimples... just the
way it does when i drive my Chevy today thank`s to you, & your team...

wanna race

We are all disappointed today----the World Finals have been cancelled due to rain on the salt---WAH!
We have made some adjustments and were expecting a 4 mph gain for 157 or so.
Our next opportunity with the racer will be at El Mirage on May 16 09. We have not run this event so it will represent another learning experience.
We will now proceed with plans to replace the 4L80E with a more efficient Tremec 5-speed OD manual. We will make no changes to the engine, the trans will be the only change. We expect the racer to do 162 on the salt next August at the Speed Week event there.
It sure would be swell to have you join us for one or more of these events. Heck, jazz-up your 6.5 and join us in the staging lanes! I promise an experience unlike any you have had with a fosil fuel vehicle.
Team 6265

I would gladly donate some B100 as you pass through Boise to get you to the races.

Good luck.

Veg.

Back