• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heath ECM swap

restoguy

Reaction score
Has anybody swapped a Heath ECM from one truck to another? I found a used one for sale a while back and called hDP to ask about having it upgraded from the HP4 to the GLE. Bill told me that it may or may not work with my truck as-is, and the only way to know it to try it. He said that there wasn't any discount for upgrading an older program to a newer one. He said that the ECM was just a good core as far as he was concerned and I should look at it the same way. I know that Bill's a good guy and I wish I had the coin to just order a new tune from him. But fact of the matter is, I'm poor, and cheap to boot!! I wondered if anyone had actually tried swapping ECM's and if anyone had actual experience with them working or not working. Thanks for your input.

Mine's a 99 with 4l80e. His is a 98 with 4l80e. I tried to talk him into taking it back if it didn't work, but he wants to sell it "all sales final".

If they are both K3500's with the same axle ratio I think you are good.

if it is a all sales final I would not mess with it, because you'd be paying for it 2x if it doesn't work, if he would let you try it 1st then take back if it doesn't work then try it, but also remember you'll probably have to teach the theft deterrent to the PCM as well, and that can be a bear especially if it does not like your truck, and in attempt to teach theft deterrent messes it up for another truck, best is to save the coin and get a PCM flashed to your VIN

If they are both K3500's with the same axle ratio I think you are good.

As long as they are both L65's it should be the same, right? Shouldn't matter if they are 2500 or 3500 I wouldn't think. I also didn't expect that the axle ratio would make a big difference. People change ratio from time to time. I thought it was just a matter of telling the ECM what ratio it's driving. Obviously I'm not too wise in these matters. I appreciate all the help.

I didn't think about the anti-theft being a problem. Is there any way I(or someone else) can change the VIN without sending it back to hDP?

I really wish he'd let me try it, but he's 8hrs away and doesn't want to mess with a return situation. I think it's easy, but.....

As long as they are both L65's it should be the same, right? Shouldn't matter if they are 2500 or 3500 I wouldn't think. I also didn't expect that the axle ratio would make a big difference.

2500 and 3500 has propably different programming for transmission, cant tell exactly without VIN codes.

Computer doesn't know ratio in our trucks or tire size either, those must be programmed to VSSB factor, saying it other way computer want only x pulses/mile from vehicle speed sensor buffer, it isn't intrested how that is done.

Thanks for the offer, Kojo. But the seller got cold feet about sending me the VIN. He's afraid of what might happen if he gives his vin number to someone he doesn't know. It's not like it's his SS number, but that's his decision to make. I would love to pick up a GLE program for half price, but at this point it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to make it happen. I guess you can't win them all.

Yeah, I know. I can't decide if he's really scared of something bad happening or he just doesn't want any responsibility to the buyer. I think Heath has a good tune. I'm open to other tunes, but this one was used so it was cheaper. And cheap is a good way to describe me! Oh well, I still have to pull my engine and figure out he oil pressure problem anyway so I'm not in a rush.

Back