• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heater hose routing coolant circuit

Denata with the math- nice. The higher voltage is of course slightly higher risk but better efficiency. So provided everything is done safely and people are aware- it is better.
As cold as your area is, it would make me wonder about using two in the block and the oil warmers for engine and Transmission.

So if a person were to put in two of the nice quality units that are 1000 watts each- basically 1/3 that time, an hour and 17 minutes.

Here is a nice video showing a little about them and where to install the one on the other side. He links the one I am buying for mine, and does some nice videos. Some of y’all will recognize him if ya don’t HESITATE to much. Haha. I’m so funny in my own mind.

But seriously now y’all have me thinking about doing a second one while I am at it. I have had to use mine at times when my glowplugs were inoperable from a controller or just worn plugs and I was unable to do them for a while. It does hit freeze temps here (barely) each year.

How to remove the freeze plug grom the block?
on the heater there should be a nut on the center that you loosen and just pull out. I think it's sealed with a rubber o-ring or something. for the flat steel freeze plugs just use a hammer and flat rod. knock one side in and it should push in and turn where you can grab it with plyers to pull out of the block. then install the freeze plug heater in the hole tightening the nut in the center.

1636118881450.png 1636119011433.png

haha @Will L. your explanation is better than mine lol I was thinking the same thing about the oil and tranny pan heaters. Ive seen those magnetic flexible heaters that look like a thick pad you could slap on the oil and tranny pan. not sure what their wattage is or how hot they get. defiantly don't want fry temp oil going on in there lol

it would also be nice to be able to figure a way to run the block heaters while the truck is parked at work where there's no access to house current. not sure if a pair of isolated truck batteries in the bed powered by an inverter would keep going for say an 8 hour day and have a built in charger where when you plug in the heaters at night the batteries would charge up

I'd honestly be scared of the amp draw for having two 1000w heaters going. most don't know to have a timer on them and leave them plugged in over night. for me here power is 110-115v with two running that would be 16+ amp draw all night! lol I'm having thoughts of my electric meter spinning and $$$ lol

those tiny diesel powered heaters? I like those, been thinking about getting one for the house for when if the power grid goes down like last winter. got down to 16 deg and power wouldn't stay on for maybe 30 minutes and off for couple of hours.

Also, you can do searches for block heaters that go inline of heater hoses. We have them on generators that are 1800-2200 watt frequently. They make them 220 volt as well. https://www.amazon.com/Weelparz-Preheater-TPS181GT10-000-Temperature-Generator/dp/B08137FJ3L

Keep in mind your home electrical circuit you are feeding these things with. Or a generator if camping I suppose. No way would I do batteries- that will kill batteries so fast and have you buying new batteries so often.

for USA : 120 volt outlet is generally 12 awg wire, and a 20 amp breaker. Look at the picture for 20 amp rated receptacle (aka plug) vs the 15 amp rated unit.
Volts X amps = watts. 120volt X 20amps = 2400 watts. That is dedicated circuit- meaning one breaker feeds 1 receptacle and nothing else or you will trip the breaker.
older houses that you are not sure the electrical is in proper condition- house fire warning!
To put it in perspective of how much power that is- you can have 10 normal outlet receptacles fed by one breaker, but here you are using just the two 1000 watt heaters.
352FF48A-6540-492D-A913-266937B79C32.jpeg

@denata. Look at the link in that video I posted where he shows them.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah my house is older, one breaker trips and three bedrooms are out! can't do much about it since it's a rental. most newer homes are the same way since they wire them and don't expect to be using a heavy load in the rooms with having central heat and ac

I'd honestly be scared of the amp draw for having two 1000w heaters going. most don't know to have a timer on them and leave them plugged in over night. for me here power is 110-115v with two running that would be 16+ amp draw all night! lol I'm having thoughts of my electric meter spinning and $$$ lol

A MUST HAVE IS A TIMER FOR DRAWING THIS MUCH POWER. And a high quality 10 awg extension cord as minimum length as will reach, 100 foot maximum. No chineseium on that extension cord either!

those tiny diesel powered heaters? I like those, been thinking about getting one for the house for when if the power grid goes down like last winter. got down to 16 deg and power wouldn't stay on for maybe 30 minutes and off for couple of hours.
Webasto is very expensive. Analogue from Russia "Binar 5s" around $450.

lol I'm a cheepscate I been having my eye on the chineseium ones on amazon peopel use for camping. they have some decently good reviews.

of course I wouldn't put on under the hood, I'd want it out where I could keep an eye on it.

yeah my house is older, one breaker trips and three bedrooms are out! can't do much about it since it's a rental. most newer homes are the same way since they wire them and don't expect to be using a heavy load in the rooms with having central heat and ac

Wish I was there to look at it and see whats up for you. One breaker is perfectly safe and normal for 10 sources- like 10 receptacles, lights, or combination of them. Is it a breaker tripping or gfci tripping? LIFE THREATENING ISSUES HERE- do you have GFCI protection in those bathrooms? If you don’t know- flippin call me in the next 3 days -asap. Easy to diy and can keep your family alive. If your landlord doesn’t already have them he/she won’t notice you installed them- just do it. So many people die from not having a simple $20 item.

Wish I was there to look at it and see whats up for you. One breaker is perfectly safe and normal for 10 sources- like 10 receptacles, lights, or combination of them. Is it a breaker tripping or gfci tripping? LIFE THREATENING ISSUES HERE- do you have GFCI protection in those bathrooms? If you don’t know- flippin call me in the next 3 days -asap. Easy to diy and can keep your family alive. If your landlord doesn’t already have them he/she won’t notice you installed them- just do it. So many people die from not having a simple $20 item.
yes there's GFCI in the bath and kitchen. I installed them when we moved in.

it's just the bedrooms on the end of the house. there smaller and have I think two outlets each and the light. kitchen and bath are on separate breakers just can't have the turkey roaster, microwave and crock pot going all at once lol found that out our first thanksgiving here!

Electric water heaters are supplied with built-in protection.(Residual current device).
Triggers at a leakage current of 10 mA.
IMG20211105231245.jpgIMG20211105231302.jpg

As far as I know there is 220 volt equipment in the USA. which consumes a lot of current. By doubling the voltage, you can reduce the wire cross-section by half. since the current will decrease

Back