• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heater fuse keeps blowing

Ooh, a mystery! Get the Scooby snacks...

Been way too long since messing with the hvac circuitry for my memory. Schematics would be useful here. I cant remember if one fuse covers the blower separate from the control circuits. What is the amp rating on your meter - is in inline or clamp on style? and what size fuse is blowing?

Without schematics and testing each component in it, an optional diagnostic is as follows:

If the blower motor doesn’t trip fuse in a/c, it means thats ok. So control circuit to the system is the cause. Does it blow the instant you turn it to heat?
Does it blow the fuse only when certain commands are given like blower speed; blend levels: vent vs floor or max heat vs 75% heat 25% cool air?
Knowing what ONE change blows the fuse is needed. If you dont know-

With a cold truck, Note the time before beginning. Start truck, Turn on the a/c and operate controls one at a time until you determine what blows the fuse. Leave the fan speed at max setting until all other controls are operated. When the fuse blows note the time.

Now recreate the blown fuse again as fast as possible by doing that one same action that caused it to verify it was the reason. You may need to let the truck cool and restart noting the time incase it is a collective heat/ load causing the over current.

Once the component thread is known, you can test the end device, the control, etc. to verify what is bad.

My ohms meter has probe style. It blew a few seconds after i cut fan on at a stop light if im in the yard just idling and slowly turn fan to hi it seems to not blow its crazy i dont get it. But also i still have heat coming thru the vents after the fuse blew once i got going i could feel heat unless i wasnt moving.

Sounds like ak diesel driver hit the nail on the head.
You could have bad connections, bad resistor, bad motor, or combination of the 3. Getting into them is your next step. My guess would be Suspect the resistor first and motor second. If you can afford it- plan in both, but install the resistor and test it, then do the motor. The motor getting old puts a lot more load on the resistor causing them to burn out quicker. If tight on money, check the bearings on the motor- could be they get replaced and help for less nickels.

This is to explain what’s happening so you don’t go crazy trying to understand:
Rule of thumb is turning on an electric motor takes up to seven times more amperage to start than to operate. these next numbers are to give the idea- they ARE NOT accurate numbers for your truck. If low operates at 1 amp, it takes 7 amps to get it spinning, medium is 3 amps, it takes 19 amps to get it spinning- notice not 21. Because there is a more load at the first bump that eases as the rate of acceleration increases. In high normally 5 amps taking 33 amps to get it turning.
When you start it on low, 7 amps falls to 1, then you go to medium which goes up to 15 then settles at 3. But the increase is not as high - note 15 instead of the 19 because it was already spinning. Then you bump it to high and it peaks to 23 amps, settling down to 5. Again a peak, but no where near as much load because it was already turning.

Another way to think of it is like driving and mashing the throttle full to get to 60 mph fast as possible. Burns a lot of fuel. As opposed to slowly up to 20, then to 40, then to 60. Slower to get up to speed but less peak load on the engine.

Just a thought.

Check for a mouse nest in the heater box. I had one in my jeep. It not only blew the fuse but also took out the blower motor. It also burned out the resistor, which burned out again in less than a year. Cheap part or an issue?

Attachments

• jeep mouse.jpg
    jeep mouse.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1
I did find out that if i go to hi then back to low it stays on hi unless i play with switch then i hear the heater relay click. I picked up a new relay and a resistor also with new AC controls and a blower motor I'm just trying to find the tube that goes from the Hvac box to the blower motor to keep it cool

Back