• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heater blower fan resistor and plug pigtail recall in US

Ted Reminder

Reaction score
GM finally sent out a recall on faulty fan wiring for 2006 Silverado. Got mine today. I fixed mine out of warranty over a year ago. GM says they will reimburse for cost of repairs already done. I'm happy to say I saved the receipts.. :agreed::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'll even try for the cost of my labor,, good luck with that,eh?

I had just thrown the receipts out for a couple I had done for people about 2 weeks before they issued the recall. Coulkd have gotten some coin back out of teh general, but that's my luck. The resistor board is fairly cheap, but they don't give that pigtail away.

I paid $ 26.47 for the pigtail (Napa)and $60.54 for the resistor board (Federated), a little over a year ago.
Didn't they recall this in Canada quite some time ago?

Did I miss something? I don't recall any discussion about this on the GM800s.

Any chance you could post the recall notice or any relevant numbers related to the recall?

Here is the TSB related to the problem. TSB Link

Last edited:
That does help thanks. I guess I'm out because I have the auto climate control system.

Just got back from the dealer. They are going to pay me $140. Not too bad. :thumbsup: Parts cost about $87 or so. I argued that my time and labor was worth at least $50, they agreed. Should have said $100 I guess..:hihi:

Just got back from the dealer. They are going to pay me $140. Not too bad. :thumbsup: Parts cost about $87 or so. I argued that my time and labor was worth at least $50, they agreed. Should have said $100 I guess..:hihi:

That's great news.

That's really a very good deal. It's rare they would step up and reimburse the parts at retail $ but pretty much unheard of to compensate a customer for their labor.
That kind of customer service goes a long way in this day and age. :thumbsup: GM!

I just received the letter Yesterday.

They are NOT recalling any vehicles for this. they are merely extending the warranty for this particular problem to 10 years from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This is a big CROCK of SH**T!!!!

"...the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. If any of these were to occur, the relay resistor module or wiring connector could overheat and the HVAC blower may not function on certain blower settings or may be inoperative. This may be accompanied by a burning smell or smoke."
In my book, a burring smell or smoke are indications of an imminent fire.

SO, They have electrical terminals that are incapable of conducting the current levels required for the blower to function. in addition, there is a possibility for water to enter the electrical components and these may lead to a burring smell or smoke.

There is a NHTSA safety requirement that specifies a MINIMUM amount of time for defogging/defrosting the windshield in cold weather. The high blower setting is most often required to quickly clear the windshield. Not having a high blower setting or perhaps NO BLOWER AT ALL, will increase the time to clear the windshield. Additionally, by their own admission, this could cause a burning smell or smoke.

I call this a SAFETY DEFECT. :eek:

But I have to wait until my truck burns something under the dash or perhaps catches fire and becomes a total loss before they will fix this. That is total unadulterated BULLSH**T ! ! ! :mad5:

They need to FIX this BEFORE there is a problem that could include a fire under the dash and possible total loss.

Maybe we need to contact NHTSA about this.

Here is a copy of the letter I received....

Attachments

• 2006 GMC Sierra Product Defect Notice.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Back