• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heat Wrap

pipelinetrash89

Reaction score
Ok guys, I've been compiling a bunch of parts for my truck and they all showed up today :thumbsup: I've got a new down pipe and crossover with an ATT and was curious if you guys would heat wrap the DP and crossover before the install? I think I read somewhere that the heat wrap helps spools the turbo some?

I did the heat wrap on X-over and did not notice any difference, IMO for X-overs best improvement is mandrel bent one vs OEM "crinkle bent", also even though I applied multiple coats of high temp paint on the wrap to "seal it" water still got in there and allowed it to rot, and I did not see that the x-over was rotten until performance really got bad and I found the elbow under the wrap had a gaping leak in it.

My current aluminized X over been there 5 years vs the 3 it took to rot out the one I wrapped.

I have a theory may hold merit or not, that wrapping also allows for odd cooling of the x over and in areas like mine with high humidity condensation happens inside the tube and works with the hydrocarbons in the pipe and becomes an acid formulation and rots the tube from the inside vs outside corrosion.

Anyway that is my story I'm sticking to it, I don't recommend header wrap, for the turbo itself that is another story yes wrap it some benefit to the heat energy, but IMO main benefit is reduction of underhood heat radiating from the heavy cast of the turbo housing acting like a heat sink.

I'm not sure where I heard that it helped with the spooling, but I'm not going to wrap it if it helps with rotting. I live in Oklahoma now, but I spent ALL last year in Ohio and West By God Virginia in the salt belt. I spent a lot getting all the exhaust stainless, and don't want to hold the salt close.

Might have been slight improvement but IMO not worth it vs downside of rot or being unable to see and developing issues, x over is only for getting exhaust left to right side of the engine/turbo collection manifold

Just a thought: Am about to start another project and going the ceramic route (manifolds, up pipes, and down pipe); only going to blanket the turbo though.

From the ‘armchair mechanic’ perspective, TD’s observations about moisture (and other air borne goodies) penetrating the wrap are the reasons I am going with ceramic (well, minus the acid theory anyway :hihi: ).

Header wrap is hard to keep on the crossover. It needs 3 wire ties on the bottom at least and be painted with the special header paint. Even then small furry things like Coyotes and other road debris tend to knock it off. I wrapped the manifolds and down pipe to keep underhood temps down. Specifically to quit melting things on the fenders. Wrap the downpipe past the front corner floorpan bend in the cab.

It helps with turbo spool and MPG as the exhaust can't cool off in the pipe. Not sure if it is measurable.

Less heat under the hood IS noticeable with a turbo blanket and all the exhaust wrapped.

Yep, the original cast ones. I'm willing to spray paint the headers with high temp paint, and then wrap them

and yes, with just a turbo blanket, I can easely see a difference

The trick here is to paint the header wrap after you wrap the part. This seals the wrap itself and hardens it some like a cast. This way it doesn't fray, unwrap, or move. Paint under the wrap can't hurt and may stop rust....

Back