• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Headlight mod's

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
I want some input on this before I purchase anything.

Both items I want can be purchased from LMC.

The first is the headlight harness. All this does is take all the electrical load off the headlight switch. Which on my model truck is to much for the switch. When I replaced my headlight switch over two years ago it was a little black on the white connector around the area were it gets the power for the switch. It seems all this kit from LMC does is add relays and makes it a plug and play. Easy for someone that does not want to make his own.

The second thing is a all headlights on when you turn the high beams on. I have no clue why GM did this to begin with. I have had this in the past and sometimes wish my truck had this. Once again this is plug and play. Also this makes it easy for someone that does not want to make anything.

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

The Relay harness will take the power for the headlights directly from the battery rather then drawing the voltage through the factory wiring. Which will reduce the stress on it as you said but at the same time you gain brighter headlights due to them getting clean voltage straight from the battery so win win there. Same goes with the High4 mod. you gain all 4 lights on high beam. Some of the kits also draw voltage from the battery as well. What the Relay mod will do is also allow you to run some better quality bulbs without risk of burning wiring as well such as PIAAs.

The Relay harness will take the power for the headlights directly from the battery rather then drawing the voltage through the factory wiring. Which will reduce the stress on it as you said but at the same time you gain brighter headlights due to them getting clean voltage straight from the battery so win win there. Same goes with the High4 mod. you gain all 4 lights on high beam. Some of the kits also draw voltage from the battery as well. What the Relay mod will do is also allow you to run some better quality bulbs without risk of burning wiring as well such as PIAAs.

That is all true, Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

Do you have either one of these on your truck?

I built my own harness's and such, but make sure which ever harness you get supplies the power directly to the bulbs. GM undersized teh headlight wiring on these trucks BADLY when they did them. Also if you do an all on headlight mod(4 on when on high), be ready to upgrade your grounds. GM used 1 ground for each side of lights, and this one ground wire is barely big enough for just the high beams to be on, when you do an all on mod you are begging for a ground meltdown.

I built my own harness's and such, but make sure which ever harness you get supplies the power directly to the bulbs. GM undersized teh headlight wiring on these trucks BADLY when they did them. Also if you do an all on headlight mod(4 on when on high), be ready to upgrade your grounds. GM used 1 ground for each side of lights, and this one ground wire is barely big enough for just the high beams to be on, when you do an all on mod you are begging for a ground meltdown.

The heavy duty headlight harness has a ground for each headlight plug(four).

Thanks Ferm! :thumbsup:

Here is a picture,
Headlight harness.JPG

That is all true, Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

Do you have either one of these on your truck?

No problem man, I dont currently have either mod on mine but it will be getting both soon. I dont even have my truck home yet lol I have done the Relay harness mod on my old autocross prepped Cavalier Z24 though. In that case i made my own harness. And i will be doing my own relay harness in my Dodge Ram this summer.

The heavy duty headlight harness has a ground for each headlight plug(four).

Thanks Ferm! :thumbsup:

Here is a picture,
View attachment 31957
I've got that harness. Carefull with the lock tabs at the bulb connectors as they are brittle, especially the blue ones.

Here's a shot of it installed. Third relay is for the Four-High mod kit.
View attachment 32044

I suppose it was done because of: Undersized wiring switches and connectors - bean counter special, longer bulb life, less power draw, longer undersized and overstressed alternator life, less heat in light assemblies, and better MPG...

The above pictured kit is on my burb and it works very nicely thanks to the PO.

Both those modifications will strengthen your electrical system and brighten up even the oldest headlights.

I recommend replacing the bulbs with some higher quality selections and using TYC elegante headlights and matching turn signal housings and side markers.

These have a pretty good light pattern, plus a glare shield (helps if you want to install HID's without projectors). They have clear lenses, for a more modern style without appearing ricey. Seems to be the go-to headlight replacement for the GMT-400 trucks these days.

I'd grab a set for my 98, If it were worth money sinking into LOL

I ended up purchasing both of these items. They improved my visibility alot! :thumbsup:

I took no pictures of the install, it was easy to do.

Have any questions ask.

Both those modifications will strengthen your electrical system and brighten up even the oldest headlights.

I recommend replacing the bulbs with some higher quality selections and using TYC elegante headlights and matching turn signal housings and side markers.

These have a pretty good light pattern, plus a glare shield (helps if you want to install HID's without projectors). They have clear lenses, for a more modern style without appearing ricey. Seems to be the go-to headlight replacement for the GMT-400 trucks these days.

I'd grab a set for my 98, If it were worth money sinking into LOL

Do you have a link for, or a picture of the TYC elegance housings?

Back