• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HE351VE with functional VGT on 1997 6.5L

Actually the 2nd Gen Ram Cummins CAC hoses are under the battery boxes so the box mounts need to be relieved that is all the passenger Ram Cummins IC pipes couplers and trubo elbow all fit within the GMT400 series.

The Ram Cummins 2nd Gen radiator and CAC fit with minor modifications to the radiator support.

As the grill goes the GM or CHEVY sealed beam mil/commercial grills w/their trun signals etc. work just fine.

Awesome info! Thanks for replying! Will the 2nd gen intercooler fit with the GM radiator, or does it need the 2nd gen radiator as well?

Hmmm ok. @FellowTraveler do you have pictures of what needed to be modified to make the Cummins radiator and IC fit the core support? You did a Cummins swap, so you probably had no issues with hoses fitting, but would the 6.5L radiator hoses fit the Cummins radiator as well?

Hmmm ok. @FellowTraveler do you have pictures of what needed to be modified to make the Cummins radiator and IC fit the core support? You did a Cummins swap, so you probably had no issues with hoses fitting, but would the 6.5L radiator hoses fit the Cummins radiator as well?
Here is the radiator support modified for the Dodge radiator and the Cummins CAC up front.
The CAC has two studs for the Ram install you can cut them off or slot/drill lower rad support to install the CAC with studs and bushings attached. The diagonals remain in place and the CAC will be flush with front of rad support.
I will take some images of installed radiator.

You will have too splice GM to Cummins radiator hoses.
DSCI0014.JPG

Last edited:
If you dare the 3" down pipe is good for about 338 HP +- NA a 4" downpipe would wake the beast however; you have to go from round to oval and back to round IMO worth the effort.

Some images of the Ram Cummins radiator top mounts.

The drivers side battery tray need to be trimmed at inside area of inner fender and the wheel well needs to be hammered very little to allow the battery to move close to the fender and clear the upper radiator outlet and hose. Once you move battery towards inner fender a spacer about 1.25" wide needs to be fabricated to hold the battery from sliding back to the radiator inlet.

Attachments

• DSCI0001.JPG
    DSCI0001.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCI0002.JPG
    DSCI0002.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 13
Some images of the Ram Cummins radiator top mounts.

The drivers side battery tray need to be trimmed at inside area of inner fender and the wheel well needs to be hammered very little to allow the battery to move close to the fender and clear the upper radiator outlet and hose. Once you move battery towards inner fender a spacer about 1.25" wide needs to be fabricated to hold the battery from sliding back to the radiator inlet.

Awesome pics! Looks like it fits in there nice and snug. Does the factory shroud fit as well? I will be relocating the batteries to the bed and removing the battery trays, so there will be plenty of room for everything.

Anyone have any experience with the Duramax IC? I have read that it will fit around the stock 6.5L radiator, but I want to confirm.

Awesome pics! Looks like it fits in there nice and snug. Does the factory shroud fit as well? I will be relocating the batteries to the bed and removing the battery trays, so there will be plenty of room for everything.

Anyone have any experience with the Duramax IC? I have read that it will fit around the stock 6.5L radiator, but I want to confirm.
I seem to remember FERM did an one guy over TDP back in 04 did the first DuraMax conversion into a gmt400.

I seem to remember FERM did an one guy over TDP back in 04 did the first DuraMax conversion into a gmt400.
Now that's what I`d be interested in trying. I would like an intercooler but do not want to mess with something hanging under the truck, way to many adventuresome places to bounce over rocks and such over here.

Now that's what I`d be interested in trying. I would like an intercooler but do not want to mess with something hanging under the truck, way to many adventuresome places to bounce over rocks and such over here.
I had one of the first between chassis rails intercoolers that I'm aware of it did take some bumps and light stone impacts but it never leaked not the ideal location but it appeared to be the only option when I did it......

I'm not a fan of mounting an IC that low. I'm sure it works well, I just dont want it to be the target of sustained road gravel fire cruising down the highway. Behind the grill will make it look so much cleaner too.

Not trying to rain on your parade but seems like this conversation is is way off topic from the original thread. Maybe it could be moved .....

Not trying to rain on your parade but seems like this conversation is is way off topic from the original thread. Maybe it could be moved .....

Half of my original post was about wanting to add an intercooler to compliment the HE351VE. We are still talking about intercoolers and how to get one to fit being the grill. How are we off topic?

Back