• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Have I mentioned how much I like my Allison

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
Finally scraped up enough money to by the proper stuff to flush and replace the old fluid. Did the double drain method. Talk about a cakewalk, I can change the filter and fluid in the transmission quicker than I can change the oil and oil filter. What I really love now is I won't have to touch the tranny for a loooooong time.

Which reminds me it is due for an oil change. Let the oil filter location cursing begin again :mad2: . I've never had a vehicle that I actually dread changing the oil until this one. What a PITA.

I helped a friend put his back under the bed just outside the frame. He had steel braided hydraulic hoses made for security. He bought an electric pre-start oiler system and when ignition is on the oil is flowing. He figured it would keep the bearings good longer for start up, and takes some load of the oil pump to not push by itself. We also put in an oil cooler back there with it. I know he got 1 1/2 years no problem from it, but sold the truck before he went to play in the sand box.

What are the percentage differences in the old to new fluid ratios between a Double Drain and a Hoot?

The Hoot method is the most thorough and what l had planned to do but with the larger exhaust pipe l couldn't get the return line off. Double drain is the next best. There might be more room on the gmt900 though Chad.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back