• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Has anybody tried the flexible socket extensions? Are they worth buying?

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the flexible socket extensions?

Are they worth buying?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RJN1GO/?tag=jhuntlink-20

I am also in need of a few 3 and 4" 3/8" drive extensions. I broke my last one today. I used to have a bunch of those. I've probably gone through at least 10 or more. Never paid much for them - most came in boxes at farm sales. You know the boxes you buy for $2 or less and then see if there was one thing worth what you paid?

I always try to get first bid one those. After the auctioneer realizes your going to bid on all of them they hit your bid fast.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Going through 10 or more I suggest reconsidering the tool quality you are using. :p

Some universal joint extensions would do a better job for you on diesel engines.

Cheap tools are for others to break and bust their knuckles when they let go. I would rather bust my knuckles when the quality tool holds up and breaks the bolt clean off. Saves me time when the bolt, not the tool, breaks because it's a long way to return it and they do run out of stock... Bolts are safer when they break as the tool breaking has sharp edges or shrapnel flying... And most important the busted bolt is out of the way allowing progress to continue.

MAC, Snap-on (Older Made in USA FWIW)... Still buy them today and inherited some older than me. You know for anything on the wrong end of a old Snap on Impact. Last two Snap On Impact sockets I bought off the truck were for head bolts and hub bolts as the old Craftsman broke on them. I don't break very many of the quality tools.

(My cheap Grandfather left me cheap garbage tools that were no more than scrap metal, but, my Uncle left me some stuff I still use today. Wonder how Gramps ever got anything done with that junk? )

Lowest quality I go is Craftsman.

Harbor Freight isn't worth the 1 wack and then return the shrapnel the tool used to be.

They have their place. Not good for tightening or braking loose fasteners. Work ok for small 5/16 type stuff like screws in plastic dash ...ect

Edit: WW posted as I was typing. Im referring to the flex tool.

My gramps left my dad some SnapOn tools that have made their way into my box. Blue Point from the 40's time frame :cool:

Worth having, low torque& low speed.

Swivel sockets and wobble extensions usually make a better combo.

Harbor freight tools are some of the most important ones to own. Then you don't loan your real ones...

I've had great luck with the Harbor freight wobble extensions. Back when I first started buying them Snap-on Didn't have a wobble. I rarely use swivels. I can usually always get by with a wobble. I've only broke about 5 wobbles in all these years.
I have a real smorgasbord of tools. I buy stuff I need on Ebay. You can get a lot cheaper for the same tool.

The 3 and 4" extensions were all pretty much freebies so I've never really bought one in particular. I did buy a set of 3 long 3/8" extensions. I got a SET OF LONG 1/2" at an auction or someplace. I can't say that I have even ever looked to see what brand they are.
I can't say I broke all 10 or even that all 10 got broke. I had as many as 8 guys working with me at a time. We did pretty good keeping track of tools. But sometimes things got broke or lost. And I had kids at the house at one time.

I missed out on the deal of the century when my Dad retired. He was a diesel Mechanic for Pepsi. He got pissed and quit / retired, turned to his co-worker and asked if he wanted to buy his box of tools for a ridiculous price And went home much lighter.

I said I would have bought those tools and box for that price any day of the week. He looked at me and said "I didn't even think of that. I was just thinking I was getting the hell out of there." LOL

I like the 1/4 inch drive flex extension. They won't transmit a lot of torque but for a 1/4 drive nut driver socket set up that needs to bend a little its a handy thing for the occasional use.

I too like wobble ext and have an assortment from HF, Northern tool, and craftsman. I have struck 2 or more swivels together at times and or added a swivel socket but they tend to do funky S binds/kinks and its hard to keep them aligned. I would think some real torque on the 3/8 ext would tend to buckle/kink but when you need one and its adequate its nice.

For the guy that has most everything why not ask for one for Christmas or birthday then use it when you think it'll work.

I had a 1/8 drive one of those. Thing worked a little bit, but looked like a pretzel when I was done.

I do like my craftsman knuckles, and wobble extensions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back