• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic Balancer Noise? Video Attached

dka99burb

Reaction score
I think I will replace the balancer and pulley before the trip. I just finished installing new injectors at about 2AM last night and took the attached cold start video this afternoon. Give it a listen and let me know what you think. I am yet to find anyone near me with a 6.5 so mine is the only one that I have heard in person.

[video=youtube_share;ZuNgARlNFFU]http://youtu.be/ZuNgARlNFFU[/video]

I want to be as prepared as possible for the upcoming trip to TX. Last night I remembered a post about worn out harmonic balancers causing sounds like rocks in a can. That is what it sounds like to me sometimes. Of course the video camera couldn't pick up the noise accurately.

Sounds kinda like the crank pulley to me....

To check it, lay on the ground under the front and grab the pulley and see it you can move it back & forth any, it is set in rubber also and they often go bad and that is the cause of broken cranks. I would bet that it is bad, when they wear out the metal tabs contact metal and sounds like that. Don't cheap out when looking for a new one, the cheap ones aren't much better than a wore out one...

... take the belt off the crank, and grab it with your hand
if it moves back and forth, the pulley balancer is shot. if it's tight, and the rubber looks good, take the 4 15mm bolts off, and pull the pulley and look at the meat of the crank balancer... if it's got no rubber or damaged rubber then you need a new crank snout balancer. best way is to LOOK at it. looking is an easy 30 minutes work.

It sounds good to me. But I am half deaf from 18 years of service.

What part of Texas? If you get any place near Killeen, Texas and have issues I can help you out.

Cool. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
We are going to East Texas Thanksgiving week. In laws are in Kilgore and Bro-n-Law is in Overton. Between Tyler and Shreveport along I-20.
We will be travelling I-85 and I-20 all the way. Rather boring Interstate ride, I hope. :skep:

Cool. Thanks.
I will pull it this weekend. Any recommendations are the parts. O'Rielly's has pulley and balancer for fifty something each. Precision Parts is the brand. Any good?

If the noise is the " dink dink dink " sound I hear, it is the turbo heat shield amplifying an injector pulse. I have had that sound on my truck since day 1.....

And don't dicount the injector noise from air still in the lines or injectors. You say you just replaced them. It took almost 200 miles of driving for mine to get all the air out of the system. And that 200 miles was only two days to and from work. Just a thought. And I have had the same heat sheild noise on mine since day one.

You may have seen I have a group buy going on the Fluid dampers going on now? Search fluid damper group buy.

Just watched vid. Nice looking engine compartment. I could not hear anything.
FWIW you may want to relieve the strain on the Chinese PMD extension cable. It drooping and allowed to bounce around could damage it?

You may have seen I have a group buy going on the Fluid dampers going on now? Search fluid damper group buy.

Worth every penny, should be the first mod anyone does.

I don't hear anything wrong really, its a bit loud but as said, its most likely air. The loose or broken pulleys sounds way worse than that.

Cool. Thanks guys. I have thought about the Fluid Damper but reluctant to spend that kind of money on this thing..?..
True Leroy, I had just thrown that plate back on. It's the Heath Diesel Kit that the PO put on.

Checked the balancer and pulley. Felt very firm and rubber in pulley looks good. Couldn't make the balancer move at all.
It may be perfectly normal but dang this thing 'knocks' alot.:nonod: I really need to hear another one run! Can't seem to find any 6.5l around here. Anyone I say talk to about the 6.5 turn their noses up as if it's the plague. LOL.

I could not hear anything in the video, but as mentioned its a good chance its an injector. You can crack each injector line loose one at a time while running to see if noise go's away.

I checked mine after reading this thread. But while I was in there checking it I just replaced it. Took a half hour. The old part looked good but the rubber had tiny cracks in it.

I pulled the top rad shroud, serp belt and fan. It was easy to access from the top. Put a piece of cardboard between the fan and radiator in case you slip.

I honestly don't know if anything is wrong. It sounds a lot better when warm but I swear there seems to be a 'knock or rattle' that is extra. But, being that I don't know what it is supposed to sound like I don't know for sure.
Is there anyone local to me that has experience with these things? I would like some reassurance before driving 1000+ miles one way this weekend.:eek:

I honestly don't know if anything is wrong. . . . Is there anyone local to me that has experience with these things?

Sounded like mine (including the Walbro clatter); and after warm-up mine quiet's down too. Based on sound alone, I'd go for the trip. Naturally having a vehicle well out of warranty and looking to cross a couple a dozen county lines, I'd have a backup-plan by way of carrying rental car numbers just in case.

Back