• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard Shifting NV4500, less than 2 years on clutch

A few pics...

broken clutch spring. Friction material looked just fine, glad I decided to pull the clutch to access the pilot bearing, would not have caught this

IMG_0899[1].JPG

Clutch pivot ball stud broke off, this was the hard shifting/ clutch not fully engaging problem. I had replaced this part last April along with the clutch. No idea why it broke. I can only think that I put the little nut on the stud too tight?

IMG_0906[1].JPG

Broken stud with nut

IMG_0909[1].JPG

Clean it up and post pics- might be able to see clue why it failed.

out of warranty, but mfr might have an answer also. Every now and then they will warranty because it shouldn’t have happened. And that spring breaking while a ton of material left- kinda rare

Also looks like the hard gasket material I used on sealing the transfer case didn't like the Tribodyn 75-90 gear oil I was running in it. I had re-sealed the unit I swapped in a few months prior, as it was a spare in the shop from a previous truck. Noticed a small leak (the tribodyn products are pretty easy to see when they leak due to their deep blue/ turquoise color) so figured I'd tend to that with the case out of the truck. Glad I did, as the gasket material had broken off into pieces and was loose in the case. I had wiped down both mating surfaces with acetone before re- sealing the unit so I know proper surface prep wasn't the issue. Didn't get any pics of the inside but the oil pump pickup screen was pretty plugged up. Here's a picture of the hard gasket material that was floating around inside

IMG_0911[1].JPG

I'm definitely going to see about getting a refund from NAPA on the clutch. I do a lot of business with them and seeing as how this failed so soon I don't think asking for some reimbursement is unreasonable

As far as the pivot ball goes- it's a Dorman product, all that was available, don't have high expectations from them. Anyone else running this external slave/ fork setup have an opinion on using the stud nut? Why doesn't the replacement ball come with said nut?

Is there a way to upload a video directly to this thread, or do I have to upload to youtube and post the link? Can't find any instructions on the website about how to upload directly to the forum

Well she's all back together as of last night, no leaks and definitely see a difference in the gearing especially overdrive. Woohoo!

Still having intermittent hard shifting issues, which leads me to believe the culprit is the slave cylinder. When I assembled the adjustable throw out bearing it was only 1/4" longer than stock, so a little improvement but clearly not too much either. I put in the long snout pilot bushing, thanks @schiker for the lead on that upgrade along with new clutch, pressure plate, t/o bearing, fork and fork pivot ball which leaves only the external slave cylinder as a leftover (still new last April) part to replace that may be causing the hard shifting issue.

@Twisted Steel Performance , was your new transmission a little stiff in shifting when you first put it in? Like it had a break- in period? For me the clutch seems to be fully disengaging now from driving it a bit today, but the shifting isn't buttery smooth. I have no frame of reference as I've only driven manuals with 150k + miles on them, and all of those were effortless. I put in 5 quarts of fluid so I don't think that's the issue, just ordered another to top it off from the shift stub just in case

No mines smooth as silk.. when at idle, how close to the floor do you half to push the clutch to get it into gear ?

The only way to bleed the clutch that works is to remove the slave and let it hang straight down, slowly push the rod in, this will force air and fluid up, hold for a minute then release , repeat several times... if the rod comes out too far air can get into the system..

Pedal still has to go to the floor to disengage clutch. $97 adjustable throw out bearing hasn't seemed to pay off so far. I was surprised at how little the difference was when measuring, and I spent over an hour double and triple checking everything.

I've bled the slave as you describe, I'm hoping that a new one will make a difference. Should arrive tomorrow, it will get new fluid too from disconnecting the line so maybe that will help too. It's not hard shifting like the clutch isn't disengaging, just really stiff. Felt that way too when I was installing the shift stub and running through the gears with the truck off. Maybe it just needs to be worked in some as the transmission sat for over a month in my shop before going in. Not much else I can put in the parts cannon after the slave goes in so here's to hoping for better luck in the coming days 🙃

Bent shifter rail inside the tranny? Just driving around a little should churn and fling enough transmission oil to fully lube everything so nothing should be "sticking" while shifting.

It's a brand new transmission, nothing should be wrong inside of it. It's warrantied at least, but that won't cover my pain and suffering of having to pull and install should it come to that lol

It's a brand new transmission, nothing should be wrong inside of it. It's warrantied at least, but that won't cover my pain and suffering of having to pull and install should it come to that lol
After the new slave, if it does not change its characteristics, take it to tje transmission shop and have one of their techs take it for a drive, get their opinion on the way it performs.

Back