• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

hard 1st to 2nd shift

Kartoon

Recruit
Reaction score
I know this isnt the tranny section but I know this will get seen more here but move if necessary.

My 1997 Burb just started getting a hard shift just from first to second. If I get off the pedal and go real easy it doesnt shift as hard, but during normal driving it shifts hard. It hasnt done this before last night. I do not tow or drive it hard at all. Its not a worker.

I checked the fluid and it wasnt low but it was a tad bubbly, which seems like a problem. Any insight on what to check and pinpoint?

My truck shifted weird a month ago and slammed all the gears. But it only happened once. Have you checked the air filter? Maybe its clogged and your not buliding a enough power to shift properly.

filter in the trans dirty or clogged with junk? i was told by a vendor on DP when i was asking about my trans that if the filter gets full of enough junk(mine was still the stock one at 163K) it can cause low line pressure. i dont' think that would cause slamming into gear but more so a lazy shift.

hmmm, i could check the filter. its wierd cause its only 1st to 2nd, not every gear. so I hope im not going to lose that gear and be screwed.

Mine does about the same thing. A firm 1-2 when on it, soft when under normal acceleration, and then a normal 2-3 and 3-4.

I believe it takes the MOST pressure going to 1-2 or R than the higher gears... do the screen change and some new fluid as needed by screen.

Good time to install a Tranny Temp sender.

after changing filter, if still hard shifting most tranny shops will do a check ride with scan tool for free, if you don't think the shop will do that anybody with a snap-on scanner (most commonly found tool) can check solenoids, possiblt a auto engenuity tool will work as well.

alright, thanks for all the help guys. Since no one has mentioned it, I guess it seems that this could just be a small problem and that my transmission isnt just going to let go any time soon?

edit: I dont have a manual but from searching it seems that just draining the fluid from the pan, doing the filter, I will need 7 quarts of fluid?

Last edited:
7 sounds about right, maybe more. Its better to get to much and not enough.

alright, thanks for all the help guys. Since no one has mentioned it, I guess it seems that this could just be a small problem and that my transmission isnt just going to let go any time soon?

edit: I dont have a manual but from searching it seems that just draining the fluid from the pan, doing the filter, I will need 7 quarts of fluid?

Couldn't hurt to throw an additive quart in there.

Back