• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Halloween cemetery gate

Nice job N8.

At our old apartment we used to be the only tenants willing to hand out candy. The other 3 would shut off lights and hide. We used to spend $50 in candy plus my landlord would pitch in some and we would run out just before 8PM (seems as if they start before 5 now!). Back then spending $50 on candy at age 21 was tough but we did it anyways (fun seeing friends & relatives come through). We did good until the last year we were there we had a few "disgruntled" trick or treaters as we ran out of candy by 7:15PM, one being my landlords daughter. Don't get me wrong, if they were young kids I would have brushed it off, but we were talking teenagers. Ever since then I have been ruined with the thoughts that some of these kids are not thankful (wouldn't it be nice to screen them). Luckily since then we are in locations where there are no trick or treaters.

Nice job N8.

At our old apartment we used to be the only tenants willing to hand out candy. The other 3 would shut off lights and hide. We used to spend $50 in candy plus my landlord would pitch in some and we would run out just before 8PM (seems as if they start before 5 now!). Back then spending $50 on candy at age 21 was tough but we did it anyways (fun seeing friends & relatives come through). We did good until the last year we were there we had a few "disgruntled" trick or treaters as we ran out of candy by 7:15PM, one being my landlords daughter. Don't get me wrong, if they were young kids I would have brushed it off, but we were talking teenagers. Ever since then I have been ruined with the thoughts that some of these kids are not thankful (wouldn't it be nice to screen them). Luckily since then we are in locations where there are no trick or treaters.

Thanks!

I agree, the lack of appreciativeness by some kids can make Halloween a downer. The ones that do though, make it worthwhile.

Always going to have unappreciative people. The happy reaction of kids young and old is more than worth it imo. Don’t let a jerk ruin something for everyone else. They don’t give them the power over your life and other's lives.

I don’t mind older teenagers doing it. If they can still have fun, I say enjoy. Plenty of years coming to be “too old” for fun things. One that stopped by is a girl we’ve known for years, 18 now but P.O.S. father wrecked last 10 years of her childhood, so she is making up for it now. Ya don’t know the stories behind the masks- if we all did, it would change how hard we tried for others.

8pm now and about 200 candy chompers so far. Hoping for more.

Also noticed something about costumes- almost no ghosts or devils-mostly princesses, cartoon characters, cowboys, cops, dinosaurs, etc.

I`ll go get a bag of them mini snickers, probably give out a 1/2 a dozen or less, then, the rest the bags for Me. LOL
I bought a bag of Payday candy bars and big variety bag of candy just in case someone showed up. Once again another year without Trick or Treaters. I've already tore into the candy and started eating it.... :smuggrin:

Definitely time later to be "to old for this "..I live by "growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"...have fun no matter what your age. I was told(I'm not home) we only got about 15 trick or treaters due to weather, but they got alot of candy so 😄 it's a win. If there brave enough to be out in the weather , they deserve it.....gotta agree with WILL, if people knew the back story of others, they might be more understanding of why they are the way they are..or ended up in the situation there in..who knows maybe they could even HELP... The world could be a better place that way.

One place I lived, I looked forward to Halloween and switching over to the 'giving' side. Halloween came, and no kids. Had a lot of candy to unload. Was really surprised as it was a rather crowded community.

Second year: same thing.

Third year: same thing.

Fourth year: same thing.

Fifth year: I gave up, bought nothing, and turned off the stoop light. Little buggers started to pound on the door. Pounding continued until I turned off *ALL* the lights on the front side of the house.

After the fifth year, I went back to buying candy and kids started to show-up.

Where I live now is simply too spooky after dark and nobody but the inhabitants show-up.

Last night we were invited (again) to the community next door. Everybody had a blast despite the tornado watch (not kidding). Was a short evening as the grown-ups were spooked by the collapsing weather. One of the houses blasted a spooky sound track which did not help when it got to the thunder portion of the recording ;)

@BIGR you were quiet a few days =, I figured you went the hunting camp lol

Well, I should have been up there today, Muzzleloader deer season opens tomorrow up there. Kind of glad I was not up there yesterday evening, they had a tornado warning up there. One of my hunting partners was up there and he said it was a little scary with no place to go except down in a deep gully. Its the first year in 20 years that I will have missed opening day up there. I have been over whelmed here at the house with a bunch of things that has to get done before I go. The major thing was I moved my wife's parents (Outlaws) :smuggrin: last Saturday in to my old place. We had been going wide open for weeks trying to get the place ready, sometimes working till 2am in the morning. Needless to say my arse has been dragging some and I have been trying to recover and catch up on the odd jobs. That's one reason I had not been posting much on here I was mentally and physically whipped. If I can get caught up I am headed up there next week I hope. I will have to tow the camper and will have a truck bed full of stuff when I go.

Did a few updates for our Halloween yard display this year.

Added a 5th skeleton on the chimney this year.

5 skeletons 1.jpg5 skeletons 2.jpg5 skeletons 3.jpg

Also added 20 more tombstones to the cemetery. I didn't decorate them this year, I just made them and painted them gray so they could fill out the cemetery more. It looks much better with them in there I think. We'll get them decorated over time.

more tombstones 1.jpgmore tombstones 2.jpgmore tombstones 3.jpgmore tombstones 4.jpg

The big new addition this year was this..... I love it!!

I only run the thunder and lightning Friday and Saturday so it doesn't become an annoyance to the neighbors. A side-benefit I hadn't thought of is that it adds some nice background ambience when watching scary movies!

@n8in8or that is awesome! I would love to be able to do a set up like that!.. you must have a lot of storage room to keep everything in all year though..
One thing I'm noticing around here this year a whole lot of people have these skeletons in their yard that have got to be 12- 15 ft tall. Kind of shocks me that that many people are spending that much money on them cuz they have got to be very expensive I'll try to get some pictures of them today.. and I mean literally I've seen easily a hundred of them at different places

Thanks! Yeah, I've seen those super tall ones. A friend of mine has one of those really tall skeletons, you can get them at Home Depot for $300.

Kinda pricey for my tastes, though it would be cool to get one some day...however I'm way more likely to spend that on parts for one of my trucks first.

Back