• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Halloween cemetery gate

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
Well this is isn’t the normal thread I would share on TTS, but I think it’s going to turn out neat and thought a couple of you may enjoy seeing it.....and at the very least I can always look back at this one day and reminisce.

For a few years now we’ve been decorating our front yard for Halloween. The first year had some lights and grave stones and then each year after that we’ve ramped it up a little more. Last year we were up to a couple skeletons climbing the chimney and some front gate posts with solar lanterns marking the front of our cemetery.

2C6D31A9-A2D7-4E13-908E-1DA5498AA907.jpegC110DB18-FDB1-43E2-8770-A1DD6318AB9E.jpegE84654F5-BCD7-436B-9D83-E7D817C11FFA.jpegABB1B587-B319-4528-A153-CF53B360E8D9.jpegB0B77369-BD31-4F1A-BCCA-3FEC40D26BC1.jpeg344DF998-7382-4C7B-AD8E-DAE1DC4FCF09.jpeg

This year there will be three skeletons on the chimney and what I’m working on in this thread - a real front gate for the cemetery. My girlfriend spotted a neat gate at a local home store. It looked good in the pic, but when I saw it in person it turned out to be pretty cheesy, especially for the $250 or whatever they wanted for it. Well you know how I never met a project I didn’t like, so i decided I needed to make us a cemetery gate. I had a rough idea in my mind of how I wanted it to look, but we needed a name. We had some concepts, but nothing that really stuck. Then a couple weeks ago we were watching Friday the 13th (the original) on 9/13 (yes, we’re THOSE people). One of the early scenes had a cemetery gate that matched my vision and the name would work well since it was a scary movie reference!

D68165F5-8A37-4118-B261-D447BB704CAB.jpeg

I looked online and it’s a real cemetery in New Jersey. They had a great pic of the gate on their website.

D4FB492A-EE30-48E8-A6C0-5759200B802C.jpeg

So that solidified the plan. Now I’m starting on it. Yesterday I rolled some 3/4” EMT conduit at work for the top arch. I chose EMT because it should be strong enough for what this is, but I need it to be portable because we’re not so crazy that we’ll leave this up year around and this thin wall steel will be light.

5E2C740B-9CCA-468D-8ABA-80913ADE01B3.jpeg

And then today I made the letters for the top. I had a chance to have the letters made at work on the plasma cutter, but I wanted to make them myself so I could say, “I made all of that”. At first I tried oxy acetylene to cut them out of some scrap 10 gauge steel from work. I thought the rustic cut would look nice. Nope. Too rustic. So band saw and sabre saw it was. It took all afternoon, but I have the letters I need. Even with the saws they’re still a little rustic, but they’re just fine for what this project is.

6B15C9A3-FE3F-4A8A-A49C-F4749B7D49C0.jpeg

Tomorrow I’ll start welding some subassemblies for this. I plan on make it in 3 pieces - the upper arch and 2 posts. It should be strong yet manageable that way. At least that’s the plan.

Last edited:
I LOVE IT!!!! I don't care how old you get Halloween is still the greatest.. and I completely agree a project is a project we talked about working on houses.. why not talk about Halloween projects.. honestly I had thought about posting some pics on here about a wooden sailboat that I'm doing a long-term restoration on but never did because I thought the same thing... Maybe we could just have a thread dedicated to different kinds of projects we're working on... We may find a lot of us have more in common than just trucks that frustrate us LOL

Ok... This is why I should not be allowed internet access at 3 in the morning... I was sitting here on the couch writing that last reply, with my daughter sitting next to me..(I'm awake cause she's sick).. anyhow.. after I hit the post reply button, she looked at me and said Dad why are you being sarcastic to your friends..🤔.... Trying to think on her logic... I couldn't come up with anything..so I said why do you think I'm being sarcastic???... So she took my phone logged me back in went back to this thread and pointed to the very top of the thread where it says project Central...and says to me "you just said you guys should invent a tread when you are on this thread which is the exact thread that you're saying you should create""....😒..how did I not realize that?? I honestly never pay attention to what threads are called I just look at the title we put on them when we put something on the thread... Once again the old man is showed up by the kid..LOL .. sorry guys I just had to share that since it happened on this thread.

Ok... This is why I should not be allowed internet access at 3 in the morning... I was sitting here on the couch writing that last reply, with my daughter sitting next to me..(I'm awake cause she's sick).. anyhow.. after I hit the post reply button, she looked at me and said Dad why are you being sarcastic to your friends..🤔.... Trying to think on her logic... I couldn't come up with anything..so I said why do you think I'm being sarcastic???... So she took my phone logged me back in went back to this thread and pointed to the very top of the thread where it says project Central...and says to me "you just said you guys should invent a tread when you are on this thread which is the exact thread that you're saying you should create""....😒..how did I not realize that?? I honestly never pay attention to what threads are called I just look at the title we put on them when we put something on the thread... Once again the old man is showed up by the kid..LOL .. sorry guys I just had to share that since it happened on this thread.
Out of the mouths of babes, right?

I remember Ferm doing a smoker project on here, so I knew it could be open to any project, it just felt a little funny sharing something more aesthetic than functional, but hey, a project is a project.

I hope your little feels better soon.

Thanks you..just strep throat and an ear infection...she finally passed out this morning... guess who is still awake..lol..
Saving the decorations as family heirlooms is definitely a good idea.. each generation can add to the display, and do a little to make it their own while preserving the past...down the road some years it's little things like that that will bring memories flooding back..

Today I got the upper arch put together. Right now it’s just tacked together, but all the pieces are in place.

7C6D6D62-18D5-450B-8DAE-27E9E93DAF70.jpeg0BE496F5-E093-4203-A483-2158A76AC852.jpeg

Then I worked on the posts. The lower portion is made out of 4” exhaust pipe. Then I added some 1/8” x 1” strips to that to give some extra dimension. The upper part is 2” EMT, again to keep the weight down. I made some long 3/4” studs at the top to fasten the top on. I got them welded together just before dinner time so I didn’t get them cleaned up yet.

540F95BB-6971-4F9F-BF75-2D19AB9E9231.jpeg5FDF2BDE-ED93-400F-A084-0E2D4807AC9A.jpeg

I also hoped to put the 3 pieces together just to see it as a piece, but I didn’t have time for that. It should look fairly impressive though because it will be about 7.5’ wide and 9’ tall. More tomorrow.

I didn’t get to play around with it much tonight, but I did do a couple things.

First, I put the pieces together and stood it up. The lighting wasn’t great for a pic, but I was pleased with how it looked together.

69DDAD0F-114E-4899-8E9E-358B5456AB18.jpeg

Then I added the boxes for mounting sconces to it. No the original doesn’t have lights on it, but I’m not trying to make a faithful recreation - it’s just inspiration for what we want in our yard.

A0DD9258-54ED-4B42-B300-9404778653A3.jpeg

I had some delays this week, but finally managed to get the gate done enough for this year.

I added some C channel to the bottoms of the poles and then made some 16” spikes to go into the ground. I made gussets for the spikes and ground the edges to a point to make them go into the ground easier.

2235EEB7-0F03-4CA2-8273-8E117B08F109.jpeg

The poles go into the ground like butter and seem stable enough. I painted the three parts with black Rustoleum. I assembled the gate on the ground then with a little help lifted it up into position. I’m happy with how it turned out overall. It will be fun adding more embellishments to it over the coming years.

52B78EBB-8C0A-441C-A0E0-6D047FF403A6.jpeg

That’s a 4 foot level leaning against the post for scale.

367669F2-AB3E-4B0E-8F86-EB34E4BF4306.jpeg

Next I added the light fixtures to the posts. I like the little extra that the lights add to it. We also added some cheapy fence from Menards for the border of our cemetery. The tombstones will be put in place tomorrow night.

79721D22-24F5-4001-AC9C-676DECEA94F9.jpeg

I also got the skeletons up on the chimney - the lower one on the right side is the addition for this year.

6F9ADB43-364E-4AB9-93EB-4461079595E9.jpeg

I’ll get pics of the finished project after we get the final details set up tomorrow after work.

Back