• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Had to get pulled out by a dodge...crap!

JeffsJeep04

Reaction score
Went to snow blow the neighbor's driveway after work (we got a nice 6" storm today and she's in her 80's) and there was no where to park since I had to clear her driveway and she lives on top of the hill. We are in a pretty rural area, she's about a half mile down the road. I pulled the truck over enough that in the rare chance someone had to come down that road they could get by because I was pretty sure I'd get stuck otherwise. Well...I was right, when I went to back up, the truck started to slide into the ditch. The more I tried to ease it out, the further down it went.

After it was pretty obvious it wasn't coming out on it's own, I tried to call the house to get my wife to come tug me out. Unfortunately, I couldn't get reception. As I was walking back to the truck, I saw headlights. Pretty soon I could see marker lights too, so I was pretty pumped that the rare chance vehicle to come by was at least a 3/4 ton. Ended up being a really nice 24v cummins dually with a 6 speed, really a sweet truck. Mine fought the whole way out, it just didn't want to come out. After a few good tugs she finally came out. Guy was super nice, and didn't even give me a hard time :p

I had to get pulled out by my dad's Cummins the other day. I was a smart @$$ and pulled my front end up on top of a snow pile. I was able to pull off and get back up on it...but in the 3 hours I was at his house it all froze.

Of course, it really only took him nudging my rig enough to break through the ice before I was free. But still. It was funny as hell. :D

Thats good there were no pics. Talk about embarrassing. Don't worry, I got towed by a Ford when my fancy quick heat glows all burned up on me. The neighbors stood by their windows and waved. Of course they are Ford guys (who I make fun of). Crap...busted.

A few years back, I had the opportunity to pull a stuck Chevy K3500 diesel out of the ditch with my little Toyota sr-5. The owner was NOT happy... probably even less so after I told him that *I* had a 6.5, also...

Say what you want about Toyotas, that little beastie has almost 500k on it (I gave it to my brother) and has pulled out a LOT of big trucks. Those stretchy 1.5" nylon tow ropes with the heavy chains on the ends are great equalizers when pulling somebody out.

Anyway, sorry for your pain, Jeff. At least the guy was nice about it. :)

Been there done that so many times.

I solved the ego issue a long time ago and have owned Dodge, GMC, Chevy, Ford and so on.

Now I dont feel bad when I need to get yanked out by a badge other than what I happen to be running at the time

I had a Subaru Brat years ago that with it's puny 1.6L would embarass some of the BIG trucks where it would go, & because I knew how to rig properly the "little truck that could" did manage to unstuck several of them, when stuck it's not always about the power, but how we get unstuck that matters (doing it smart),

My 2wd locker equipped 4.3L GMC 1500 gasser truck got stuck once a little Alabama "red gumbo mud" not deep but slimy once my Bridgestone 31" MT tires gummed up there was no traction to be had, FIL with his NEW 4x4 BIG Dodge Big Red he call it "I can get it out you should have known that GMC was a wuss truck anyway"; yes he got stuck, had to walk to he house covered in mud, grab the MIL's Lincoln unstuck the Dodge, which then could unstuck the GMC with a LONG chain this time

Being pulled out by a dodge isn't so bad. Many have put a dodge-cummins in a chevy. You don't hear of a ford or toyota being put in a chevy.

You could damn-NEAR put my old Toyota in the back of my Chevy :D

Think about it... instead of spare tire... spare truck!

LOL - we have this stupid local bylaw that says a trailer can't be parked on the street without being hooked up to a vehicle. I had to leave my 5er in front of the house while I took my truck over to a buddy's place to haul his horses to a stampede (his Ford was down and out), so I backed my Toyota under the front and lowered the hitch into the box.

I should have taken a picture... it was hilarious. The old people on the street were toddling over to look and see if it was really hooked up!

You could damn-NEAR put my old Toyota in the back of my Chevy :D

Think about it... instead of spare tire... spare truck!

LOL - we have this stupid local bylaw that says a trailer can't be parked on the street without being hooked up to a vehicle. I had to leave my 5er in front of the house while I took my truck over to a buddy's place to haul his horses to a stampede (his Ford was down and out), so I backed my Toyota under the front and lowered the hitch into the box.

I should have taken a picture... it was hilarious. The old people on the street were toddling over to look and see if it was really hooked up!

Jifaire is good at coming up with pictures of things like this. IIRC he had a similar picture. Dont' let us down Jifaire.

I had to tow my truck to the mechanic with my friends nice purty dually Powerstroke. And I pulled it from my old apartment to my new house 150 miles with an older equipment rental stakebed Powerstroke. I modified a towing bar thing to pull it around, because it would never run! An IP and a couple fuel shutoff solenoids later its been super reliable.

Attended a jamboree last summer,that was held on a farm. It rained something awful , on & off for most of the weekend.
Lots of entertainment watching different outfits trying to get out on last day.
The Dodges old & newer seemed to fare the best at getting around. Seemed to be something to do with gearing & power .

What happened to jeff happened to my dad a few years ago. We were Ice fishing and I said dont pull to far off the road. Well he pulled off just a little to far and his bald tires wouldnt pull out of the ditch. The truck wasnt stuck it would move but just not up out of the ditch. The more he moved the truck the farther into the ditch it slid and finaly the side of the truck was about 2" from a tree. It was either rub the tree or get pulled out. Some guy in a mid 90s ford f150 drove by and stopped. It was sad to see a ford pull a chevy out.

2 Years ago with my busten up jimmy I pulled a 3/4ton 4wd chevy out of the mud burried up to the axles. I didnt even spin my bald tires.

Damn. I had to get pulled again, this time by a Chevy K1500 (not an oil burner, though). I think I either blew a fuse or my 4x4 actuator isn't working. Damn, damn.

LOL!

Love this thread....

I have pulled my fair share of Fords and GMs.....only ever had to be pulled out by other vehicles I own so its not too bad I suppose.....

I guess that's a plus...I've never had to be pulled out by a vehicle that I haven't driven on a regular basis.

I guess that's a plus...I've never had to be pulled out by a vehicle that I haven't driven on a regular basis.

I stopped to pick up a free lawn tractor for a friend in my jimmy with a trailer on. I wasnt really stuck, I could have dumped the lawn tractor and drove out. That was when I had the bald tires in wet snow trying to drive up a ditch bank with a trailer. He was parked about 6ft away on the road to he hooked up his chain. A few months later I bought his truck so Ive only been pulled out by a vehicle I own. ):h

Back