• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got scuffing, burnt, loose pistons ?

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
This weekend was full of pistons, several drag race motors were down or waiting till the last minute to refresh for the up coming season. A couple sets of BBC 632's, one "I need these repaired" 632's, burnt, scuffed, loose bores, about 4 sets of 6.5's...

The repair set had had much too much Nitrous run through them, broke the crank and instead of a 1500$ set of new pistons he wanted me to repair what he had.. well yes, I can do that.. the skirts got a couple "build up" coats with a product designed for this, and 2 coats of our regular skirt coating, now the skirts are better than new, the tops were cleaned, polished then coated with CBX that is designed for exotic fuels and high boost.. now they are better than new...

So if you think some parts are beyond use, ya might rethink that or if you want the best possible protection for what you have, feel free to contact me..

001.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
054.JPG
053.JPG
047.JPG
048.JPG
052.JPG

.005 + , the build up product is a "solid" that cures hard but will burnish when in use.. these needed .003 - ,005" , I can't measure it until it's cured so I try to apply enough the first time. These require a bore clearance of .007" for what the motor is running, the builder will measure them tomorrow and see how close I came, I hope their is more than what is needed, it will be great and the bore clearance will self fit the first pass ...

I know I asked before a year or so back, but can you so this to 2 stroke outdoor power equipment pistons?
Have you experimented with them at all?
Does this coating resist carbonization deposit to the top of the piston?

Absolutely, 2 strokes are oiled in the fuel they run, the skirt coating is a self lubricating dry film, the more pressure it is subjected to the more it lubes. The piston top coatings are thermal barriers, they prevent heat from soaking into the piston so it doesn't expand as much, bore clearances can be snugged up a bit due to this, that means less piston rock in cylinders..

I have done many 2 stroke pistons, I wish I had known all this when I had my Alcohol 2 stroke drag bike, new pistons after every race got costly back then...

So if I understand this correctly, on an old wore out 6.5 that's still running. one could extend it's life and breath restored power to it by doing this to the pistons sort of like an in-frame job with out needing a full blown rebuild? This sounds interesting. I suppose it would all depend on how badly the web cracks are upon disassembly if it would survive being disturbed in that area removing the crank.

unless one just pulled the pan and heads not disturbing the crank.

So if I understand this correctly, on an old wore out 6.5 that's still running. one could extend it's life and breath restored power to it by doing this to the pistons sort of like an in-frame job with out needing a full blown rebuild? This sounds interesting. I suppose it would all depend on how badly the web cracks are upon disassembly if it would survive being disturbed in that area removing the crank.

unless one just pulled the pan and heads not disturbing the crank.
I wonder if some of those Lock and Stitch devices would work to hold the web to the block ?

I would think just leave the Main caps/bolts alone and just pop off the rod caps and push the pistons out the top of the bore. Check rod bearing clearances and go under as needed when reinstalling the treated pistons on high mileage 6.5 motors. Jmho.

Back