• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

got a turbo kit today. prototype???

NintendoKD

Reaction score
I picked up a turbo kit off of a seller on craigjunk. Guy says it came out of an early 94 idi truck. Has a banks round air filter deal, and has just one exhaust manifold, and the exit line for the turbo oil dump goes into the valve cover "which it came with" A garrett turbo on the setup. The interesting thing is that the turbo dump goes to torward the front of the vehicle. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. I want to install this lickety split, and it looks like a breeze, as it is just the one manifold and the valve cover, and it is all one piece. Replace the old intake with the new hat assy. and all done. I do need to figure out an exhaust for the thing because of the strange way it dumps, it mounts directly over cyl 3 "may be different, I'm a chevy guy, forgive me" on the valve cover.

Happy New Year

Any pics of it? Sounds like an old BANKS turbo kit. If so it uses a 90 degree elbow to connect up to the intake.

That is a banks kit, Ford stuck ats kits on from the factory although the dealer could have added the banks kit when it was new.

here are the pictures as promised, if it was a hack job, it was done by a pretty skilled welder, the welds are solid. but it does not look like a factory deal to me, probably a very skilled fabber.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 27
Looks like a Banks setup but the cross over appears to be at the front of the engine, interesing. Did you get another manifold with it?
ATS turbos are center mount the Banks mounts over the passenger head.

The turbo mounts over the drivers valve cover, more correctly, the oil outlet dumps into the valve cover. This is a fairly well made custom deal. the hat "under the banks donut intake" can be used, or the banks one can be used, kit came with both. The flange for the exhaust is nothing more than a wheel spacer for a golf cart. The idea is to run a cross over like on the 6.5 setup and the exhaust dumps out towards the front of the truck "can anyone say stack???" I got pretty much everything I need to make this happen today, cleaned the crap outta the valve cover and re-painted it gray like the rest of the engine. I went to ACE and got the brass fittings necessary to hook the oil feed for the turbo to the pressure sender. got a new rubber grommet for the turbo oil dump on the valve cover. got some exhaust gasket maker for the gaskets, autozone sells it by the sheet, made by fel-pro, and used some spray on rubber to re-cover the oil line as the old rubber jacketing wore off "worked awesome". pics to come

Turbo rebuild time

did anything happen with this? interested

I am sending the turbo off this week, started a new job and got a little behind on some things. Glad you asked though. The center section went on a road trip to l.a couple weeks back I disconnected the intake hose. The exhaust turbine is done, stick it with a fork like. It is sIdeways in the exhaust housing severed from he shaft, and now I understand what it was the turbo did for me. It is just a dog without it, could also have something to do with the massive exhaust blockage in the turbo housing too lol.

You need to pull the heads and get the rest of the debris out of the engine, intake, and exaust. You may have broken a glow plug to start the chain reaction or have debris impacted in the pistons. Debris will enter the engine from the exaust manifold. Otherwise your next turbo will have a short debris filled life...

Back